WEST VALLEY CITY — A verbal argument turned violent Sunday leaving one man shot and another under arrest for investigation of attempted murder.
West Valley police received several 911 calls about a shooting at the Shadowbrook Apartments, 3860 S. Redwood Road, about 7 p.m. Sunday. Responding officers found Dell Archuleta, 44, lying on the grass with a gunshot wound to his stomach, said West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell. He was transported to a local hospital in critical condition.
After some investigation, detectives took Joshua Kunz, 28, and a 25-year-old woman into custody for questioning.
The woman and Archuleta used to date each other until recently, Powell said. At the time he was shot, Archuleta had a no contact order against him.
In June, Archuleta was charged with misdemeanor assault and drug possession in a case that involved domestic violence, according to court records. He was scheduled to go to trial on those charges Aug. 30. On June 28, Archuleta allegedly tested positive for drugs, violating the terms of his pre-trial release.
Archuleta reportedly went to the woman's apartment Sunday night, Powell said, and was invited inside by the woman and Kunz. While inside, Kunz and Archuleta got into a "verbal disagreement" and Kunz shot Archuleta, Powell said.
Kunz told officers that Archuleta "refused to leave the apartment," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
Archuleta ran from the apartment, down the stairs and several hundred feet before collapsing on the grass.
Based on the evidence, Powell said investigators did not believe the shooting was a case of self-defense. Kunz was booked into jail for investigation of attempted murder, possession of a stolen gun and possession of a gun by a restricted person.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Utah State runner Brittany Fisher gaining...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong weeks...
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 41
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 21
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water... 10
- New app helps consumers purchase... 9
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah... 9
- Utah lawmakers look to regulate child... 8