Power restored after outages left thousands in the dark Friday night
SALT LAKE CITY — Power was restored to all but a few early Saturday after a microburst caused problems on a transmission line in Summit County and high winds in Salt Lake County left thousands without power Friday night.
"Most customers who lost power as a result of the wind had power restored at some point during the night," Rocky Mountain Power spokesman Jeff Hymas said. "Our crews worked through the night and currently, as of 9:30 a.m. we have only about 124 customers still without power as a result of the wind."
Hymas said there are a few other small power outages throughout the Salt Lake valley, but of the power outages that resulted from a transmission line being temporarily out of service because of a microburst late Friday, only a few remain.
"Almost all of those customers are in Salt Lake Valley in scattered locations, only two of those customers are in the Park City area," he said. "We'll continue working to restore power to these customers this morning, some may be out until the afternoon."
Residents and Tourists alike were left in the dark as Park City, Snyderville and other parts of Summit County experienced outages.
"We tried to go to the Red Rock restaurant in the Red Stone shopping mall, but everything in the Red Stone mall was closed," Mason Payne, who lives in Provo but was in Park City for the evening said. "Half the city was without power and as we were driving home it looked like there was light out in Heber."
Power was restored at various times throughout the night. Most customers in Summit County had power restored by 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning, and by 6 a.m. or earlier in Salt Lake County.
The largest outage affected more than 14,000 customers in Summit County.
There were also problems with a few downed power lines as well as trees and tree branches in power lines that had been knocked down by the wind.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Proposal: Real Salt Lake would pay for minor...
- Review board clears Salt Lake police officer...
- Man arrested in Mt. Olympus homicide...
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt Lake...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 78
- Republican, Democratic political... 49
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 43
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 33
- Pro-Palestinian crowd rallies in Salt... 33
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 29
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 24