Power restored after outages left thousands in the dark Friday night
SALT LAKE CITY — Power was restored to all but a few early Saturday after a microburst caused problems on a transmission line in Summit County and high winds in Salt Lake County left thousands without power Friday night.
"Most customers who lost power as a result of the wind had power restored at some point during the night," Rocky Mountain Power spokesman Jeff Hymas said. "Our crews worked through the night and currently, as of 9:30 a.m. we have only about 124 customers still without power as a result of the wind."
Hymas said there are a few other small power outages throughout the Salt Lake valley, but of the power outages that resulted from a transmission line being temporarily out of service because of a microburst late Friday, only a few remain.
"Almost all of those customers are in Salt Lake Valley in scattered locations, only two of those customers are in the Park City area," he said. "We'll continue working to restore power to these customers this morning, some may be out until the afternoon."
Residents and Tourists alike were left in the dark as Park City, Snyderville and other parts of Summit County experienced outages.
"We tried to go to the Red Rock restaurant in the Red Stone shopping mall, but everything in the Red Stone mall was closed," Mason Payne, who lives in Provo but was in Park City for the evening said. "Half the city was without power and as we were driving home it looked like there was light out in Heber."
Power was restored at various times throughout the night. Most customers in Summit County had power restored by 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning, and by 6 a.m. or earlier in Salt Lake County.
The largest outage affected more than 14,000 customers in Summit County.
There were also problems with a few downed power lines as well as trees and tree branches in power lines that had been knocked down by the wind.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Ogden couple killed in murder-suicide identified
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 51
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11