City officials lead with their hearts, collectively lose 179 pounds in 100 days
In addition to Christensen's 43 and Hall's 12, Riverton Mayor Bill Applegarth lost 11 pounds, Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon lost 25, Cottonwood Heights Mayor Kelvyn Cullimore shed seven, South Jordan Mayor Scott Osborne lost nine, Murray Mayor Dan Snarr was 12 pounds lighter, West Jordan City Councilman Ben Southworth lost 15, Taylorsville Mayor Russ Wall shed 13, South Salt Lake Mayor Cherie Wood lost 14, and Herriman City Manager Brett Wood lost 18 pounds.
Megan Kline, an exercise physiologist with Intermountain's cardiac rehabilitation program, said each of the participants are busy with their jobs sometimes seven days a week and faced a barrier of time. But each was required to engage in either 20 minutes of intense or 30 minutes of moderate activity at least five days a week.
Participants were scored on their overall improvements in weight, waist circumference, body fat percentage and other factors. Experts, like Kline, helped them with any weaknesses in their routines.
"It was not all about the numbers," she said. "They all had success. They all really changed their frame of mind."
Applegarth said he took it one day at a time, making small improvements along the way.
"You've got to make sure that what you're eating is going to be beneficial to your body," Snarr said, adding that there has to be balance in every aspect of life.
"This is something that is not done quickly and it is hard," Woodruff said. "I admire the time they spent on it and their consistency and persistence."
Another 25 pounds for Christensen would put him at the same place surgery would have left him. "But I think this is a much better solution," he said. "I'm headed in the right direction for the first time in 10 years."
- Chances of a 'Speaker Chaffetz' may have just...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Vernal woman takes plea deal in child abuse case
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Federal judge: Tribal court can't hear...
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes...
- Key witness in criminal cases against...
- Chances of a 'Speaker Chaffetz' may... 54
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 32
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17