LEVAN, Juab County — A Spanish Fork woman was killed and two other women were critically injured Thursday after a rollover accident on state Route 28, officials said.
Amanda Higgins, 29, was pronounced dead at the scene after being ejected from a black Ford Excursion near mile marker 23, officials said. The driver of the Excursion, 37-year-old Provo resident Amy Bott, was also ejected.
Bott and another passenger, 23-year-old Amanda Worthington of Orem, were flown to an area hospital in critical condition. Two other passengers, McKenzie Johhnston, 22, of Pleasant Grove and Alexandra Mofitt, 21, of Salem were treated on sight for minor injuries, officials said.
According to the Utah Department of Public Safety, Bott was driving north and attempted to pass a semitrailer by entering the southbound lanes, where another semitrailer was approaching from the opposite direction. Bott swerved off the roadway to the left, allowing the oncoming semitrailer to pass, then over-corrected back onto the road, officials said.
Officials said the Excursion re-entered the road and struck the back of the northbound semitrailer, causing the Excursion to roll several times before coming to rest upside down and blocking both lanes of travel.
The accident occurred at approximately 3:30 p.m., officials said. The driver of the semitrailer was not injured.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful after...
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14