LEVAN, Juab County — A Spanish Fork woman was killed and two other women were critically injured Thursday after a rollover accident on state Route 28, officials said.
Amanda Higgins, 29, was pronounced dead at the scene after being ejected from a black Ford Excursion near mile marker 23, officials said. The driver of the Excursion, 37-year-old Provo resident Amy Bott, was also ejected.
Bott and another passenger, 23-year-old Amanda Worthington of Orem, were flown to an area hospital in critical condition. Two other passengers, McKenzie Johhnston, 22, of Pleasant Grove and Alexandra Mofitt, 21, of Salem were treated on sight for minor injuries, officials said.
According to the Utah Department of Public Safety, Bott was driving north and attempted to pass a semitrailer by entering the southbound lanes, where another semitrailer was approaching from the opposite direction. Bott swerved off the roadway to the left, allowing the oncoming semitrailer to pass, then over-corrected back onto the road, officials said.
Officials said the Excursion re-entered the road and struck the back of the northbound semitrailer, causing the Excursion to roll several times before coming to rest upside down and blocking both lanes of travel.
The accident occurred at approximately 3:30 p.m., officials said. The driver of the semitrailer was not injured.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15