MINERSVILLE, Beaver County — Crews responded to a wildfire in Beaver County that quickly spread to 17,000 acres Thursday and threatened a hog farm, officials said.
The fire began around 12:30 p.m. approximately four miles south of Minersville and west of state Route 130, Bureau of Land Management spokesman Don Carpenter said.
The fire quickly jumped to 1,500 acres and had reached 17,000 acres by Thursday evening.
"The cedar trees are just popping ahead of the fire from the heat that's produced, and they're igniting prior to the fire line even hitting them," Beaver County Emergency Director Les Whitney said.
Carpenter said the cause is still under investigation, but the fire could have been due to lightning.
"There were thunderstorms in the area, but I don't know if they had lightning or not," Carpenter said.
The fire threatened the Circle Four farm, prompting an evacuation of the farm's employees, officials said. The farm's pigs were not evacuated, but an air tanker worked the fire lines repeatedly along with choppers and water buckets.
"It's probably the largest hog farm in the nation, and there are quite a few employees who work there as well," said fire information officer Nick Howell.
State Route 130 was temporarily closed in the afternoon and again Thursday evening to aid firefighting efforts.
Contributing: John Hollenhorst
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated in...
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Appeal of excommunicated LDS activist Kate...
- Clearfield pediatrician arrested in child...
- Man accused of shooting 72-year-old West...
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- Utah families, researchers play role in...
- New poll shows Love, Owens race tightens;...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 46
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 27
- Prison relocation process slows down 27
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated... 27
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21