Our Take: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints puts on several annual pageants around the country. The Hill Cumorah Pageant starts off its 75th year this Friday, and newspapers as prominent as the Wall Street Journal are publishing articles on it. The Wall Street Journal picked up an Associated Press article about the Hill Cumorah Pageant, and the pageant was also reported on by Rochester, N.Y.'s local newspaper, the Democrat and Chronicle. This year's Nauvoo Pageant began Tuesday, July 10, and was reported on by the local news station.
Hill Cumorah Pageant
Let’s put on a show.
Sometime in the 1930s, a Mormon leader said words to that effect, perhaps taking his cue from Mickey Rooney or some other emerging movie star.
The leader didn’t have song-and-dance numbers in mind. Rather, he wanted to dramatize some of the stories and beliefs central to his religion.
And so it was that in 1937 the first performance of what has become the Hill Cumorah Pageant was staged in the town of Manchester, a few miles south of the village of Palmyra in Wayne County, N.Y.
Altered, amplified and streamlined, the show goes on 75 years later. Thursday’s dress rehearsal will be followed by Friday’s opening night. Thus endures what is, according to its organizers, the “longest-running outdoor religious drama in the country.”
To read more, visit democratandchronicle.com.
NAUVOO, Ill. — Thousands of people are on their way to Nauvoo this week as the town kicks off its 8th annual Nauvoo Pageant.
The pageant celebrates the legacy of the early Latter-day Saints.
The pageant emphasizes the mission of Joseph Smith and honors the sacrifice, faith and courage of the Saints who gave their all to build a city and a temple to their God.
To read more, visit connecttristates.com.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 72
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 64
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 47
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 40
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 29
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 17