Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake
LITTLE COTTONWOOD CANYON — A hiker missing since Tuesday afternoon was found in good condition Wednesday.
Shin Ham Oknom, 55, was found about 12:30 p.m. Wednesday about a mile up and 50 yards off to the side of the trail she was last seen hiking on with a group of friends and family, Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal said.
Oknom was in good condition. In addition to their own search efforts, police had been briefing recreationists at the trailhead to be on the lookout for the missing hiker.
A pair of hikers spotted Oknom. She was sitting down in a thick wooded region, close to an area officials had searched the night before, Hoyal said. The hikers called out to her, but she didn't respond. Hoyal said they had to walk right up to her and confirm she was the missing woman.
Details on where she spent the night and how she got lost will be posted as they become available.
Oknom and her friends were hiking the White Pine Trail on Tuesday afternoon. The group had eaten lunch at Red Pine Lake about 11:30 a.m., Hoyal said.
When they hiked down the trail to the parking lot, the group split into a slower and faster group at the Red Pine Bridge. Oknom was the lone person walking between the two groups, Hoyal said.
The faster group reached the parking lot first, then the slower group arrived, but Oknom did not.
Life Flight and Department of Public Safety helicopters assisted UPD in the search, which was suspended at 10 p.m. Tuesday because of darkness.
Search and rescue, as well as a SWAT team, assisted with the search Wednesday. Hoyal said an estimated 60 to 70 people were on the mountain searching.
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Police locate West Point teen called 'person...
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Chaffetz not willing to take impeachment off...
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 32
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17