Geological Survey maps document hazards, wonders of St. George area
SALT LAKE CITY — Map fans who want to learn about ancient lava flows or potentially active earthquake faults in Washington County's St. George area have two new resources available to them.
The Utah Geological Survey has just published two new geologic maps intended primarily to identify potential hazards such as landslide or rock-fall prone areas or trouble spots where collapsible soils exist.
They are intended to guide government officials, land and resource managers, consultants and engineers and others who deal in the field of crafting resource protection plans or land management strategies.
The maps, however, are also an educational tool for anyone interested in the topography and colorful landscapes of this growing southwestern area of Utah.
The geologic map of the St. George quadrangle covers approximately 50 square miles of land in and around St. George, extending south to the Arizona border. The geologic map of the White Hills quadrangle covers 50 square miles immediately west of the St. George map and includes the suburb of Bloomington and the upper reaches of the Virgin River Gorge.
Among the features that are exposed across mapped areas are colorful 190 milliono to 300 million-year-old sedimentary rocks and black 33,000- to 2.3 million-year-old basaltic lava flows. The maps also show rock formations that emit radon and drill holes from past oil and gas exploration activities.
They also are available as either a printed map for $14.95 or on a DVD (contains GIS database and pdf of map) for $24.95 at the Natural Resources Map & Bookstore, 1594 W. North Temple, Salt Lake City. For more information, call 801-537-3320 or 1-888-UTAHMAP, or visit mapstore.utah.gov.
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Wanted Layton man dies in New Mexico plane crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- Alleged sexual abuser on the run for 17 years...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 302
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 109
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 77
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 68
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 46
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 46
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 36