'Divine intervention' helped police solve case of slain 6-year-old Sierra Newbold, chief says
Black is being held in the Salt Lake County Jail in lieu of $2 million bail.
Black also faces robbery and transfer of a stolen vehicle charges in relation to the June 29 crimes that put him on the radar of investigators.
Utah court records show Black pleaded guilty in March to a 2008 to a vehicle burglary charge. A warrant was issued for his arrest June 8 for failing to comply with probation.
In 2006, he pleaded guilty to an amended charge of attempted forgery and intoxication. As part of his plea bargain, an additional charge of misdemeanor lewdness was dismissed. He was placed on 12 months probation.
Black faced several charges in Richfield in the early 1990s, including supplying alcohol to a minor and disorderly conduct and assault on a police officer.
Black has been paying down a debt of child support and the most recent payment was made July 4. He owes more than $15,000 in back payments for child support. In 1993, he was named in a paternity suit filed at Richfield’s 6th District Court.
Contributing: Jeff Finley, Peter Samore
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- American Fork teen drowning victim identified
- BYU students took cover in bomb shelter...
- Body of 14-year-old American Fork boy...
- Report: Some Utah babies more at risk of...
- CNBC ranks Utah 3rd best state for business;...
- Woman forgives ex-boyfriend for shooting her,...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 60
- Same-sex marriage advocates to deliver... 44
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 42
- Rep. Chaffetz keeps Romney for... 41
- Mia Love labeled 'surefire winner' by... 28
- Officer who killed family had dark... 24
- West Jordan City Council passes on... 18
- Hemp oil registration cards bring hope... 12