Vice President Joe Biden and wife Jill visiting Utah Tuesday
Carolyn Kaster, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Vice President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, both are holding events in Utah Tuesday, but neither will make a public appearance while they're in the state.
The vice president is the special guest at a fundraiser for President Barack Obama at a private home in Park City while Jill Biden will be meeting with members of the Utah National Guard and their families at the Utah Air National Guard Base in Salt Lake.
The fundraiser is being held at the home of John and Kristi Cumming, who hosted a similar event for then-presidential candidate Obama in August 2007.
Tickets to the event cost a minimum of $100 for young professionals or $500 for general admission and up to $25,000. Premium seating is available for $1,000 and participants can have their photo taken with the vice president for $5,000 each, or $8,000 per couple.
The vice president's appearance to raise money for Obama's re-election comes a year after first lady Michelle Obama spent less than two hours in the state to collect at least $1,000 each from 250 attendees at a fundraiser held at another private home in Park City.
Jill Biden will spend more than an hour at the base to raise awareness for "Joining Forces," a national initiative to support troops and their families. The Bidens' son, Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden, served in Iraq as a member of the Delaware Army National Guard.
The White House said that "as a military mom, Jill understands firsthand how difficult it can be to have a love one deployed overseas." In her role as the wife of the vice president, Biden travels regularly to mlitary bases in the United States and abroad. Her event in Utah is closed to the public, but open to the media.
- Ex-Utahn accused of killing 6 in Texas was...
- Parents of eight children both have cancer,...
- American Fork teen drowning victim identified
- BYU students took cover in bomb shelter...
- Body of 14-year-old American Fork boy...
- Man honored for saving 3-year-old from...
- CNBC ranks Utah 3rd best state for business;...
- Officer who killed family had dark side,...
- Utah to appeal same-sex marriage ruling... 60
- Same-sex marriage advocates to deliver... 44
- Rep. Chaffetz keeps Romney for... 41
- 83% of Utahns say Congress needs to act... 40
- Mia Love labeled 'surefire winner' by... 28
- Officer who killed family had dark... 24
- West Jordan City Council passes on... 18
- Community gathers to break fast, come... 14