Broccoli salad: A recipe from the past that is fresh for today
My grandmother, Beulah, is amazing. At 93, she is spry, giggly and sweet, and is still one of the best cooks I know. As a child, I used to stand on a stepstool and watch as she made spaghetti, pies, casseroles and soups.
And everything was made from scratch. The problem was she rarely followed a recipe. I have a number of recipe cards in her careful feminine handwriting that use terms like “a little of this,” “a bunch of” and “about a handful.” To say the least, I’ve had to tweak some of the recipes over the years so I know what these terms mean.
One of my favorite recipes is her fresh and crunchy broccoli salad. It has such a unique twist of flavors and is perfect as a side dish for a barbeque or summer meal. I will often add other fresh veggies to it, but keep the basic combination of broccoli, raisins, and a sweet and tangy dressing. I like to make a large batch because it is even better after it has marinated in the fridge for a day. Use it as a side salad for dinner and alone as a light lunch the next day.
Grandma Beulah’s cooking fit her personality. She has always been a free spirit. Me, however, I can’t go to bed at night without double checking the locks and making sure the stove is off. I will stick to measuring and enjoy the fact that I inherited her giggle.
BELLE’S BROCCOLI SALAD
3 cups chopped fresh broccoli
½ cup chopped green onions
½ cup real bacon bits
2/3 cup raisins
½ cup salted sunflower seeds
Chopped apples, cucumbers, bell peppers or other crunchy fruits or vegetables can also be added if desired.
Stir all ingredients in a large bowl.
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Mix dressing well and pour over salad. Stir well to coat everything.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of two. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at www.talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney accepts ALS Ice...
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with One...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- How to eat on just $4 a day
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of...
- 32 pictures capture priceless family moments...
- The Clean Cut: Mothers brought to tears in...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- How to miss a childhood: The dangers of... 31
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney accepts ALS... 18
- Provo company creates program that... 17
- How your premarital experiences can... 12
- Amy Donaldson: Critics of the ALS Ice... 12
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 11