Balancing act: Exercise helps productivity, work/life balance
Although I've been exercising at home before going to work, my employer is serious about offering such opportunities at the office. It has two large wellness centers available for use by employees in the various buildings on its campus, and several different classes and exercise programs help people get and stay in shape.
Due to my daily schedule, which tends to include many meetings, those classes wouldn't often work for me. But I still appreciate the company's desire to promote wellness — and, as a result, better productivity — among its employees.
As I'm coming to discover more clearly than I have in years, making time for exercise is an important part of building better work/life balance. True balance goes beyond just spending more time with family and includes spending the time we take for ourselves as wisely as possible.
Now that I've made some small initial steps in this direction, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep making progress so, someday, my column photo will depict a svelter version of me.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this topic, too. Have you found that exercise has an impact on your productivity or morale at work? Does your workplace offer a wellness center or other exercise opportunities? How important should such offerings be as part of an employer's work/life balance initiatives? Send me your ideas, and I'll try to share some of them in a future column.
- What people never mention when they talk...
- 3 tips for traveling cheaply
- Survey says parents spend $532.87 a month to...
- Obama renews tax breaks, creates ABLE accounts
- Utah economy still adding jobs, report says
- Abu Dhabi's Etihad gets A380, complete with...
- Staples: Customer data exposed in security...
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on companies
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Is brand loyalty the new religion? 6
- US consumer prices fall in November 4
- Insurers ease 'Obamacare' deadline 3
- Keystone pipeline to top Senate agenda... 3
- AP sources: NFL employees turn over... 3
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on... 3
- PacifiCorp to close Deer Creek Mine in... 3