Balancing act: Exercise helps productivity, work/life balance
Although I've been exercising at home before going to work, my employer is serious about offering such opportunities at the office. It has two large wellness centers available for use by employees in the various buildings on its campus, and several different classes and exercise programs help people get and stay in shape.
Due to my daily schedule, which tends to include many meetings, those classes wouldn't often work for me. But I still appreciate the company's desire to promote wellness — and, as a result, better productivity — among its employees.
As I'm coming to discover more clearly than I have in years, making time for exercise is an important part of building better work/life balance. True balance goes beyond just spending more time with family and includes spending the time we take for ourselves as wisely as possible.
Now that I've made some small initial steps in this direction, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep making progress so, someday, my column photo will depict a svelter version of me.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this topic, too. Have you found that exercise has an impact on your productivity or morale at work? Does your workplace offer a wellness center or other exercise opportunities? How important should such offerings be as part of an employer's work/life balance initiatives? Send me your ideas, and I'll try to share some of them in a future column.
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6
- Burger King Japan's latest meal is the new black
- Riverton Hospital expansion aims to meet...
- Phone lines are open: Customers camp out for...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Labor commissioner appoints new Utah OSHA...
- Financial interventions don't work
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- Salt Lake City is now 'Ski City USA' in... 5
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6 4
- FedEx to add 50,000 seasonal jobs 2