Balancing act: Exercise helps productivity, work/life balance
Although I've been exercising at home before going to work, my employer is serious about offering such opportunities at the office. It has two large wellness centers available for use by employees in the various buildings on its campus, and several different classes and exercise programs help people get and stay in shape.
Due to my daily schedule, which tends to include many meetings, those classes wouldn't often work for me. But I still appreciate the company's desire to promote wellness — and, as a result, better productivity — among its employees.
As I'm coming to discover more clearly than I have in years, making time for exercise is an important part of building better work/life balance. True balance goes beyond just spending more time with family and includes spending the time we take for ourselves as wisely as possible.
Now that I've made some small initial steps in this direction, I'm hoping I'll be able to keep making progress so, someday, my column photo will depict a svelter version of me.
I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on this topic, too. Have you found that exercise has an impact on your productivity or morale at work? Does your workplace offer a wellness center or other exercise opportunities? How important should such offerings be as part of an employer's work/life balance initiatives? Send me your ideas, and I'll try to share some of them in a future column.
- What 'The Office' teaches us about job...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- Syracuse man develops router to keep Internet...
- Salt Lake City to become next Google Fiber city
- Internet outages reveal gaps in US broadband...
- Gillette company does work for NASA
- UTA board approves new pay plan for...
- FDA to scrutinize unproven alternative remedies
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- UTA board approves new pay plan for... 11
- AP Investigation: Slavery taints global... 6
- Oil council: Shale won't last, Arctic... 3
- The middle class has had a rough couple... 2
- Stericycle medical waste incinerator... 2
- For business, more women in charge... 1
- Wowed by young scientists, Obama... 1