USU gymnastics: David Tighe named Utah State gymnastics assistant coach
Utah State gymnastics coach Jeff Richards announced Friday that David Tighe has been named an assistant coach for the Aggies.
“I am excited for David to join our staff,” Richards said. “He has an exceptional knowledge of the sport of gymnastics and relates well to his athletes.”
Tighe recently graduated from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va. with a bachelor’s degree in sport management. While at Liberty, he competed on their club gymnastics team, finishing fifth nationally on vault as a senior. He served as team captain, leading the Flames to a 17th-place finish of 58 teams at the national meet in Salt Lake City.
“I’m just really excited about it,” Tighe said. “I love Logan. I really like the gymnastics team and the type of kids Utah State recruits. I’m excited to work with them.”
A native of Boise, Idaho, Tighe also attended the University of Idaho, where he competed on the track and field team, participating in the pole vault. Outside of his own athletic pursuits, he served as a volunteer assistant coach for the UI diving team, as well as the tumbling coach for the cheer squad.
In 2009, Tighe transferred to Boise State University where he helped establish the BSU club gymnastics team while coaching at the Gem State Gymnastics Academy. In his Junior Olympic competition career, Tighe was an eight-time Idaho state champion.
Tighe joins the Utah State staff as a replacement for Janet Anson. He will serve as an assistant coach alongside TeShawne Jackson.
“The coaching staff is great. I’m excited to get to know people and be a part of the organization. I really like the feel of the athletic department as well,” Tighe said. “I’ve been to a few schools, and none of them have seemed as approachable as here. I can go into work and get something accomplished. I’m excited for the opportunity.”
USU gymnastics returns two NCAA Regional qualifiers in Sarah Landes and Paige Jones for the 2013 season. Landes, Kaitlyn Betts and Christina Nye also return after earning all-Western Athletic Conference honors last season.
Fans can follow the USU Gymnastics’ Twitter and Facebook pages - Twitter: www.twitter.com/USUGymnastics and Facebook: Utah State Gymnastics. Aggie fans can also follow the Utah State athletic program at twitter.com/USUAthletics or on Facebook at Utah State University Athletics.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- High school football: Orem player responds...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- High school baseball: Snow Canyon overcomes...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 75
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 66
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 64
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 62
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 49
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 27
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 23
- BYU, Ute baseball: Cougars come back... 21