Book review: 'Sylvia Come Home' over-the-top but touching story
“Sylvia Come Home” is a touching piece of LDS fiction. Though overly sentimental and emotional, it carries a valuable message that all youths should pay attention to.
Sylvia Prescott is a young woman who is madly in love with a man named Rex. Rex is not a Mormon, and Sylvia's parents frown upon her desire to marry Rex. Despite this, Sylvia decides to elope with Rex. She determines to contact her parents again when they calm down.
Finding a home in Idaho, the young couple settles down with a friend of Rex. Sylvia finds her new home disgusting. She simply cannot imagine starting her married life in a small and scanty shack.
Rex reassures Sylvia and they eventually make a home in the shack. Rex finds work at a local mine. He quickly turns into a coarse man.
Eventually Rex starts practicing behaviors that Sylvia and her faith frown upon. Rex drinks heavily and gambles. Sylvia becomes miserable and regrets her decision to run away with Rex.
In the meantime, Sylvia’s family stays supportive of her. They encourage her to remember her faith and to rely on the Lord. Sylvia wonders if she be able to help Rex and be able to practice her faith and still be happy.
“Sylvia Come Home” is a very predictable ebook. Almost from the start, the reader will be able to figure out what happens to Sylvia in the end. Despite this, the ebook has a priceless message to youths of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It emphasizes the importance of listening to your parents and being married in the temple. It clearly illustrates what happens if one chooses to follow their passions rather than their heart.
“Sylvia Come Home” is a quick read. Though it has an over the top storyline, it is still an ebook that young adult readers will love.
Shelby Scoffield is a graduate of Brigham Young University and a graduate student at California State University, Stanislaus.
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Picturing history: West Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Jerry Earl Johnston: At times the people we...
- 5 diverse appeals to God that were just made...
- What's new: 'By the Voice of My Servants'...
- Photos: Utah delegates tour historic sites in...
- Russian Orthodox Church calls boycotted Crete...
- The 'Splainer: The empire of the US-based...
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 33
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 25
- Revealed: What a draft of the... 10
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 10
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 10
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump 9
- Trump sparks activists' quest to... 7
- How would you describe God in just one... 7