Book review: 'Sylvia Come Home' over-the-top but touching story
“Sylvia Come Home” is a touching piece of LDS fiction. Though overly sentimental and emotional, it carries a valuable message that all youths should pay attention to.
Sylvia Prescott is a young woman who is madly in love with a man named Rex. Rex is not a Mormon, and Sylvia's parents frown upon her desire to marry Rex. Despite this, Sylvia decides to elope with Rex. She determines to contact her parents again when they calm down.
Finding a home in Idaho, the young couple settles down with a friend of Rex. Sylvia finds her new home disgusting. She simply cannot imagine starting her married life in a small and scanty shack.
Rex reassures Sylvia and they eventually make a home in the shack. Rex finds work at a local mine. He quickly turns into a coarse man.
Eventually Rex starts practicing behaviors that Sylvia and her faith frown upon. Rex drinks heavily and gambles. Sylvia becomes miserable and regrets her decision to run away with Rex.
In the meantime, Sylvia’s family stays supportive of her. They encourage her to remember her faith and to rely on the Lord. Sylvia wonders if she be able to help Rex and be able to practice her faith and still be happy.
“Sylvia Come Home” is a very predictable ebook. Almost from the start, the reader will be able to figure out what happens to Sylvia in the end. Despite this, the ebook has a priceless message to youths of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It emphasizes the importance of listening to your parents and being married in the temple. It clearly illustrates what happens if one chooses to follow their passions rather than their heart.
“Sylvia Come Home” is a quick read. Though it has an over the top storyline, it is still an ebook that young adult readers will love.
Shelby Scoffield is a graduate of Brigham Young University and a graduate student at California State University, Stanislaus.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 72
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 65
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 48
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 40
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 29
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 18