UVU baseball: Kallunki and Burgess named All-Americans by College Baseball Insider
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OREM -- Billy Burgess became the third 2012 Utah Valley University baseball player to receive All-American status while Goose Kallunki added another first-team All-America honor as CollegeBaseballInsider.com recognized the two Wolverine seniors on Friday.
Kallunki, a consensus All-American, also received first-team distinction from the National College Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA), Louisville Slugger and the American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) and was named to the third-team by Baseball America and Perfect Game.
Burgess, who became UVU's first Capital One Academic All-America® selection in June, was named an honorable mention All-American by CBI.com. He is the fifth Utah Valley baseball player to receive All-America status in the program's NCAA Division I era and third from the 2012 season. Austin Heaps also nabbed third-team honors from the ABCA.
Kallunki batted .419 with 18 home runs and a nation-leading 86 RBIs on his way to becoming a finalist for the Dick Howser Trophy, a Golden Spikes Award semifinalist and Great West Conference Player of the Year. He was drafted by the San Diego Padres in the June MLB draft and is batting .345 for the Eugene Emeralds of the Northwest League.
Burgess hit .396 batting with seven home runs and 56 RBIs and was named to the Great West All-Conference first team. He earned Great West Tournament MVP after leading UVU to its third straight conference tournament title.
UVU finished the 2012 season with an outstanding 47-12 record that included a 32-game win streak and led the country in batting average (.350), on base percentage (.436) and slugging (.523). Over the three All-American seniors' final three years in Orem, the trio amassed a 123-51 record, a nearly 71 percent winning percentage.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7