SALT LAKE CITY — The Division of Air Quality is seeking technical input from the business community and the public on new rules that will be proposed as part of an air quality plan to meet federal wintertime pollution standards.
DAQ is hosting a series of informational meetings July 9-14 to discuss potential pollution controls to be placed on industry to bring much of northern Utah into compliance with the Environmental Protection Agency standards for particulate pollution, known as PM 2.5.
The primary driver of PM 2.5 — tiny soot that can get trapped in the lungs — is the chemical reaction that occurs when volatile organic compounds are emitted as gases from an array of products. Controlling the VOCs will be the focus of rule-making that the Air Quality Board will consider adopting after holding public hearings.
The following public meetings for rule discussion will be held:
• July 9, 1 p.m., Department of Environmental Quality's Board Room, 1015, located at the Multi Agency State Office Building, 195 N. 1950 West, Salt Lake City. This meeting will focus on surface coating operations that release the VOCs, such as surface-coating operations of fabric and vinyl, metal and wood furniture, coatings of film and foil and plastic parts, coatings of large appliances, and autobody refinishing.
• July 11, 5:30 p.m., also at DEQ Board Room. This meeting will focus on the VOC emission sources from large industrial baking ovens and operators who use appliances with pilot lights and wood stoves.
• July 14, 10-11:30 a.m., noon to 1:30 p.m., Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, Brigham City. The morning session will be for surface coating operations. The afternoon session will focus on VOC emission sources from large industrial baking ovens and operators who use appliances with pilot lights and wood stoves.
For information on the draft rules, visit: www.airquality.utah.gov/Public-Interest/Current-Issues/pm2.5/draftrules.html
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- Police locate West Point teen called 'person...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 32
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17