VERNAL — A 10-year-old Vernal girl has died from injuries she suffered when she was knocked from a horse in a riding arena, according to the Vernal Police Department.
The girl was riding during a barrel racing event Tuesday at Western Park when she struck a pole at the end of the arena and was knocked to the ground, Assistant Vernal Police Chief Keith Campbell said in a statement.
The girl received immediate treatment from emergency medical technicians and a doctor, who were at the venue when the incident occurred. She was taken to Ashley Regional Medical Center and then transferred to Primary Children's Medical Center, where she died Wednesday, Campbell said.
The girl's name is not being released, pending notification of family members. Police say their investigation determined the death was the result of a "tragic accident."
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29