VERNAL — A 10-year-old Vernal girl has died from injuries she suffered when she was knocked from a horse in a riding arena, according to the Vernal Police Department.
The girl was riding during a barrel racing event Tuesday at Western Park when she struck a pole at the end of the arena and was knocked to the ground, Assistant Vernal Police Chief Keith Campbell said in a statement.
The girl received immediate treatment from emergency medical technicians and a doctor, who were at the venue when the incident occurred. She was taken to Ashley Regional Medical Center and then transferred to Primary Children's Medical Center, where she died Wednesday, Campbell said.
The girl's name is not being released, pending notification of family members. Police say their investigation determined the death was the result of a "tragic accident."
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 162
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 83
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 35
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17