VERNAL — A 10-year-old Vernal girl has died from injuries she suffered when she was knocked from a horse in a riding arena, according to the Vernal Police Department.
The girl was riding during a barrel racing event Tuesday at Western Park when she struck a pole at the end of the arena and was knocked to the ground, Assistant Vernal Police Chief Keith Campbell said in a statement.
The girl received immediate treatment from emergency medical technicians and a doctor, who were at the venue when the incident occurred. She was taken to Ashley Regional Medical Center and then transferred to Primary Children's Medical Center, where she died Wednesday, Campbell said.
The girl's name is not being released, pending notification of family members. Police say their investigation determined the death was the result of a "tragic accident."
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 72
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17