Serial arsonist turns himself in for early morning Memory Grove fire
SALT LAKE CITY — A serial arsonist turned himself in Thursday after starting a fire in Memory Grove earlier that morning.
Wilbert Fike Jr. went to the Fire Prevention Bureau, 315 E. 200 South, and turned himself in for intentionally starting the Memory Grove fire, which burned close to a half-acre.
Fike was released from prison June 8 after being convicted of arson last year for starting another fire in Memory Grove. He turned himself in after that fire, as well.
Firefighters were returning from a fire on Ensign Peak when they noticed smoke coming from the Memory Grove area and found a small fire burning. They called in two other engines that were also returning from the Ensign Peak fire. Together, they were able to quickly extinguish the fire.
Last year, the Deseret News reported that Fike pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of misdemeanor arson in 2010, to which he was sentenced to a year in jail with credit for time served.
In that incident, Fike set a fire in City Creek Canyon. Three days later, he turned himself in, saying "his intent was to go back to prison," according to court documents. In 2007, he was also convicted of third-degree felony arson and sentenced to up to five years in prison.
Investigators, who spoke with Fike Thursday, determined that he was being truthful but were unable to release his motives for starting the Memory Grove fire this time.
Court records also show Fike pleaded guilty to five counts of sex abuse of a child, a second-degree felony, in 1988. He is currently listed on the Utah Sex Offender Registry.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 21
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12