AMERICAN FORK — The Crescent Super Band of American Fork has been offered a rare opportunity.
The band, directed by Caleb Chapman, has been invited to perform in concert at Carnegie Hall in New York City on May 21, 2013.
Publicist for the band, Jan Hemming, said the news ignited jubilation at a recent band party.
It also kicks off what will be a year of not only rehearsing but raising the more than $300,000 it will require for the 80 band members and their tour staff to make the trip.
The Distinguished Concerts International New York production company issued the invitation. Artistic director/principal conductor Jonathan Griffin said the selection was based on the quality and high level of musicianship demonstrated by the ensemble and "the exceptional recommendation given by Mr. Chapman's colleagues."
According to Hemming, this will be the first time that a high school ensemble from Utah has performed a full concert in Carnegie Hall.
Chapman said the invitation is a fantastic honor.
"I am blown away that on May 21 of 2013, dozens of communities from across the state will have someone from their town performing on the stage of the most famous concert venue in the world," he said. "This represents a major milestone in the history of our program."
Previously, Chapman’s bands have performed at jazz festivals in Europe and Mexico as well as American music venues such as the Berklee College of Music in Boston; Telluride, Colo.; Park City; and in jazz clubs in New York, Hollywood and Washington, D.C.
Two bands associated with Chapman's music program — the Latin ensemble La Onda Caribena and the jump-swing band the Voodoo Orchestra — will participate in the concert as well.
Several fundraising concerts will be held over the next 12 months to raise money for the trip. To learn more, go to www.calebchapmanmusic.com.
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your...
- Millennials read more books than their...
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for your kids
- 'The Addams Family' has clever Utah Valley...
- The changing definition of 'TV': What parents...
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 16
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015 1