Provided by Wilderness Press
"WALKING SALT LAKE CITY," by Lynn Arave and Ray Boren, Wilderness Press, $17.95, 262 pages (nf)
Wilderness Press has created a fun new series of books highlighting walking tours of cities across the country, and now it's Salt Lake City's turn to get the treatment.
Locals Lynn Arave and Ray Boren, lifetime Utah residents and former Deseret News reporters, were tapped to create and describe 34 great walks of the Salt Lake area. Their selections in "Walking Salt Lake City" cover a wide range — from downtown to canyon trails to the salty shores of Antelope Island. Each walk forms a chapter, complete with a map, distance and difficulty rating. Also included are fascinating historical details pertaining to the area covered by each walk and interesting sights to watch for as you go. Parking and public transit information is included, followed by turn-by-turn (or should we say "step-by-step"?) directions for the walk. Each chapter concludes with a bulleted summary of the route, and how it connects with other walks.
Most chapters include a brief "Back Story" section, where a historical backdrop for the area is given. Despite a brisk writing style, there are some funny nuggets to be found, like a hilarious interaction between Brigham Young and Mark Twain. Each chapter also has a black-and-white photo, although color photos would have been a nice addition.
There's a wide variety here with something for nearly any walker, from the tree-lined streets in the Avenues to hiking the rock-strewn path to Ensign Peak. Some walks definitely have more appeal, while others will be unexpected. Who'd think of walking near the parking lots of California Avenue for pleasure? A pleasant surprise was finding the Temple Quarry included, and such lesser-known jaunts as Lagoon Trail or the Peace Gardens.
The book's compact size is perfect for taking along on rambles, and it even lists eateries that can be found on your walks, just in case you need something along the way.
If you go ...
What: Short walking tour with Lynn Arave and Ray Boren and book signing
When: Saturday, July 28, 6:30 p.m. (rescheduled from July 14)
Where: The King's English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
Margot Hovley's first novel will be published by Covenant Communications in fall 2012. Her popular self-reliance blog is at mynewoldschool.com or read about her writing adventures at margothovley.com.
- Viral photos encourage moms to 'set aside the...
- Early diagnosis may be key in slowing...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- Taking back family dinner: A healthy,...
- Men experience the pains of labor through...
- Hundreds of volunteers tackle service...
- Disney reportedly pulls new 'Brave' image of...
- A crash course in 'Star Trek' for non-Trekkies
- L.A. filmmaker tries to re-brand... 10
- New app helps consumers purchase... 9
- Disney reportedly pulls new 'Brave'... 9
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah... 9
- Utah lawmakers look to regulate child... 8
- Men experience the pains of labor... 5
- Reactions to abortion murder verdict... 4
- Former middle-class moms choose new... 4