Sandy man charged with automobile homicide in June death
SANDY — A Sandy man was charged Tuesday with automobile homicide after he allegedly killed a man after running a red light and colliding with another car.
Blake Timothy Molder, 23, was driving his south on 9800 South June 23 when he ran a red light and hit a smaller vehicle stopped at a red light on Bangerter Highway, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court.
After the collision, the smaller vehicle burst into flames and the driver, Michael J. Gallegos, was pronounced dead at the scene.
There were no skid marks prior to the accident and Molder was driving at a minimum speed of 95 mph at the time of the crash, the charges state.
After being taken to Jordan Valley Hospital, Molder admitted to police that he had consumed three beers and a shot of tequila at a bar prior to the accident, according to the charges. He also allegedly told police he had smoked marijuana earlier in the day. After being released from the hospital, Molder was administered a breathalyzer, which indicated a blood alcohol of .116, the charges state. The legal limit in Utah is .08.
Molder was charged with automobile homicide, a second-degree felony; a red light violation, a class C misdemeanor; and speeding, a class C misdemeanor.
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Utahn Merlin Taylor is Santa with a cause
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands man in...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- West High basketball players work to debate...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 111
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 101
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 23
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 16
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 12