Sandy man charged with automobile homicide in June death
SANDY — A Sandy man was charged Tuesday with automobile homicide after he allegedly killed a man after running a red light and colliding with another car.
Blake Timothy Molder, 23, was driving his south on 9800 South June 23 when he ran a red light and hit a smaller vehicle stopped at a red light on Bangerter Highway, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court.
After the collision, the smaller vehicle burst into flames and the driver, Michael J. Gallegos, was pronounced dead at the scene.
There were no skid marks prior to the accident and Molder was driving at a minimum speed of 95 mph at the time of the crash, the charges state.
After being taken to Jordan Valley Hospital, Molder admitted to police that he had consumed three beers and a shot of tequila at a bar prior to the accident, according to the charges. He also allegedly told police he had smoked marijuana earlier in the day. After being released from the hospital, Molder was administered a breathalyzer, which indicated a blood alcohol of .116, the charges state. The legal limit in Utah is .08.
Molder was charged with automobile homicide, a second-degree felony; a red light violation, a class C misdemeanor; and speeding, a class C misdemeanor.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- 'Teacherpreneur,' a new role in the world of...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 15