Sandy man charged with automobile homicide in June death
SANDY — A Sandy man was charged Tuesday with automobile homicide after he allegedly killed a man after running a red light and colliding with another car.
Blake Timothy Molder, 23, was driving his south on 9800 South June 23 when he ran a red light and hit a smaller vehicle stopped at a red light on Bangerter Highway, according to charges filed in 3rd District Court.
After the collision, the smaller vehicle burst into flames and the driver, Michael J. Gallegos, was pronounced dead at the scene.
There were no skid marks prior to the accident and Molder was driving at a minimum speed of 95 mph at the time of the crash, the charges state.
After being taken to Jordan Valley Hospital, Molder admitted to police that he had consumed three beers and a shot of tequila at a bar prior to the accident, according to the charges. He also allegedly told police he had smoked marijuana earlier in the day. After being released from the hospital, Molder was administered a breathalyzer, which indicated a blood alcohol of .116, the charges state. The legal limit in Utah is .08.
Molder was charged with automobile homicide, a second-degree felony; a red light violation, a class C misdemeanor; and speeding, a class C misdemeanor.
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- 1 dead in Uintah County after track hoe...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in Provo
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Farmington woman tumbles 150 feet in hiking...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride Center's...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 58
- Episcopal bishops seek end to 'unholy... 42
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 40
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12