Man admits to shooting at federal agents, police officers
SALT LAKE CITY — A man who shot at federal agents and police officers while being served a search warrant two years ago pleaded guilty Tuesday in federal court.
In a plea agreement, Troy Cabibi, 30, admitted to assault on a federal officer, discharging a firearm during a crime of violence and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. The agreement recommends the South Salt Lake man serve 20 years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for Sept. 11.
The charges stem from an incident at midnight Aug. 26, 2010, when members of the Joint Criminal Apprehension Team went to a South Salt Lake house to serve Cabibi an arrest warrant for a state parole violation. He fired at officers using a .45-caliber semi-automatic weapon.
"One of the officers he assaulted sustained a life-threatening injury which has caused permanent damage," according to the agreement.
Cabibi was previously convicted of manslaughter in the shooting death of a 21-year-old man outside a Midvale convenience store in 1998. He was 17 at the time.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 16
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 15