Provided by Lacey Nymeyer
The year was 1972, and Munich, Germany, played host to the Summer Olympics. Sadly, the games were marred by Palestinian terrorists killing two Israeli athletes and taking nine hostage. But some memorable moments and names also emerged—with the likes of Soviet gymnast Olga Korbut and U.S. swimmer Mark Spitz, who set seven World Records to win a record seven gold medals in one Olympics.
But the name I’ll always remember from the ‘72 Summer Games is Sandra "Sandy" Neilson. Sandy was my 16-year-old high school buddy in Southern California who also just happened to win three gold medals as a freestyle swimmer. (By the way, she continued to swim competitively into her 40s and was inducted in the International Swimming Hall of Fame in 2005.)
That was the closest I’ve come to a brush with Olympic greatness until now. This Sunday, on our July 8 edition of "Mormon Times TV," you’ll see our Skype interview with Lacey Nymeyer John, who is a member of the women’s 4x100 meter freestyle relay team that swam away with the silver medal. With the excitement of the London Summer Olympics just days away, you’ll see what it felt like to compete at that level and learn of the great experiences that came her way as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Also on this week’s "Mormon Times TV" show, you’ll meet a 10-time cancer survivor who considers himself blessed.
Expert party planner Alisa Bangerter has loads of amazing ideas to get you motivated and prepared for your summer family reunions. You’ll see how these big gatherings can be creative, fun and memorable for every age group.
And, “What’s in a name?” You’ll find out, as we take a light-hearted look at the creative baby names some in the Mormon culture have come up with and why.
The “Mormon Times TV" television show airs weekly on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. on KSL-TV, following the Mormon Tabernacle Choir broadcast. It can also be viewed online at mormontimestv.ksl.com, where you can also see past episodes. And we invite you to follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/mormontimestv and join in the conversation. We’re always looking for inspiring, uplifting stories that involve people of the LDS faith. If you have some ideas you’d like to share with us, drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Michelle King is the host of "Mormon Times TV" that airs Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. on KSL. Email: email@example.com
- LDS siblings receive mission calls to Sao...
- Elder Perry's 'wildfire' cancer shocked...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's funeral planned for Friday
- Photos: A photographic look at Elder L. Tom...
- 21 uplifting quotes from Elder L. Tom Perry
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces...
- Son shares story of miraculous reunion with...
- Why more young women are leaving church
- Possible Boy Scout gay leadership... 77
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 56
- Lindsey Stirling's father responds to... 46
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right... 44
- Michelle Llewellyn: How can I defend... 40
- Is your financial house in order? 10... 29
- Elder L. Tom Perry — an... 22
- Why more young women are leaving church 21