SANDY — A seven-hour standoff with a man who police say assaulted a woman and threatened her with a gun ended early Tuesday.
Robert Baker, 32, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping and drug possession.
Police say a woman went to Baker's home, near 950 East and 9400 South, Monday evening. The woman told police she and Baker were co-workers, said Sandy Police Sgt. John Arnold. There were other friends and co-workers also present at the house.
About 7 p.m., the woman said she fell asleep. She was violently awakened about 10:30 p.m. when Baker started punching and beating her, Arnold said. The woman and Baker were the only ones left in the house at that time.
Baker got a handgun, pointed it at the woman several times and then fired a round into the ceiling, according to Arnold.
At some point, the woman was allowed to go free. She ran to a neighbor's house where she called 911, Arnold said. When police arrived, Baker refused to come out of the house. Because a gun had been used in the incident, a SWAT team was called to surround the house.
After Baker refused to negotiate with officers, just before 5 a.m. Tuesday the SWAT team used an explosive device to blow open the front door. The man then came out and surrendered before the team entered.
The woman was taken to a local hospital for X-rays and to be treated for various injuries, Arnold said.
Why Baker allegedly took the woman hostage and assaulted her was unknown Tuesday, Arnold said.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Police arrest 3 suspected of vandalizing LDS...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Ex-A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff due in...
- Mormon Media scholars discuss church and...
- Photos: World record potentially set during...
- Traditional marriage supporters want... 84
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Lawmaker pledges to run bill changing... 36
- Democrats challenge Mia Love's... 36
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 31
- Federal government extends same-sex... 26
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 22
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21