SANDY — A seven-hour standoff with a man who police say assaulted a woman and threatened her with a gun ended early Tuesday.
Robert Baker, 32, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping and drug possession.
Police say a woman went to Baker's home, near 950 East and 9400 South, Monday evening. The woman told police she and Baker were co-workers, said Sandy Police Sgt. John Arnold. There were other friends and co-workers also present at the house.
About 7 p.m., the woman said she fell asleep. She was violently awakened about 10:30 p.m. when Baker started punching and beating her, Arnold said. The woman and Baker were the only ones left in the house at that time.
Baker got a handgun, pointed it at the woman several times and then fired a round into the ceiling, according to Arnold.
At some point, the woman was allowed to go free. She ran to a neighbor's house where she called 911, Arnold said. When police arrived, Baker refused to come out of the house. Because a gun had been used in the incident, a SWAT team was called to surround the house.
After Baker refused to negotiate with officers, just before 5 a.m. Tuesday the SWAT team used an explosive device to blow open the front door. The man then came out and surrendered before the team entered.
The woman was taken to a local hospital for X-rays and to be treated for various injuries, Arnold said.
Why Baker allegedly took the woman hostage and assaulted her was unknown Tuesday, Arnold said.
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- State School Board explores budget cuts as...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 204
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 146
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- Romney decision not to run again... 37
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 25
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 24
- Business community supports tax... 22