SANDY — A seven-hour standoff with a man who police say assaulted a woman and threatened her with a gun ended early Tuesday.
Robert Baker, 32, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping and drug possession.
Police say a woman went to Baker's home, near 950 East and 9400 South, Monday evening. The woman told police she and Baker were co-workers, said Sandy Police Sgt. John Arnold. There were other friends and co-workers also present at the house.
About 7 p.m., the woman said she fell asleep. She was violently awakened about 10:30 p.m. when Baker started punching and beating her, Arnold said. The woman and Baker were the only ones left in the house at that time.
Baker got a handgun, pointed it at the woman several times and then fired a round into the ceiling, according to Arnold.
At some point, the woman was allowed to go free. She ran to a neighbor's house where she called 911, Arnold said. When police arrived, Baker refused to come out of the house. Because a gun had been used in the incident, a SWAT team was called to surround the house.
After Baker refused to negotiate with officers, just before 5 a.m. Tuesday the SWAT team used an explosive device to blow open the front door. The man then came out and surrendered before the team entered.
The woman was taken to a local hospital for X-rays and to be treated for various injuries, Arnold said.
Why Baker allegedly took the woman hostage and assaulted her was unknown Tuesday, Arnold said.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- Utah mother of 8 in running for...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 77
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort 35
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 31
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 24
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22