SANDY — A seven-hour standoff with a man who police say assaulted a woman and threatened her with a gun ended early Tuesday.
Robert Baker, 32, was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping and drug possession.
Police say a woman went to Baker's home, near 950 East and 9400 South, Monday evening. The woman told police she and Baker were co-workers, said Sandy Police Sgt. John Arnold. There were other friends and co-workers also present at the house.
About 7 p.m., the woman said she fell asleep. She was violently awakened about 10:30 p.m. when Baker started punching and beating her, Arnold said. The woman and Baker were the only ones left in the house at that time.
Baker got a handgun, pointed it at the woman several times and then fired a round into the ceiling, according to Arnold.
At some point, the woman was allowed to go free. She ran to a neighbor's house where she called 911, Arnold said. When police arrived, Baker refused to come out of the house. Because a gun had been used in the incident, a SWAT team was called to surround the house.
After Baker refused to negotiate with officers, just before 5 a.m. Tuesday the SWAT team used an explosive device to blow open the front door. The man then came out and surrendered before the team entered.
The woman was taken to a local hospital for X-rays and to be treated for various injuries, Arnold said.
Why Baker allegedly took the woman hostage and assaulted her was unknown Tuesday, Arnold said.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12