Phil Coale, Associated Press
Even with mortgage rates at record lows and low home prices, many people are choosing to not buy homes. But now rent prices are on the rise, according to the website cnnmoney.com.
Rent in the U.S. has gone up by an average of 5.4 percent over the last 12 months, according to real estate website Trulia. The price to rent has gone up as a result of potential homebuyers not qualifying for mortgages and homeowners who lost their homes to foreclosure, according to the article.
Asking prices on homes have risen by 0.3 percent in the last 12 months, according to data from Trulia. While that's the fourth increase in five months, the gains are small compared to the rise in rental rates over the last year.
"With rents rising faster than prices in most markets, buying is getting even more affordable relative to renting," Trulia's chief economist, Jed Kolko, told cnnmoney.com.
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking end of...
- Why your co-workers come to work sick
- Local government board fostered 'culture of...
- BLM releases blueprint for oil and gas...
- 5 tips for a successful job interview
- Family whose 3-year-old daughter has cancer...
- Business says thanks by donating 10 bicycles...
- Millions being spent gambling at 2 bingo...
- Local government board fostered... 16
- Salt Lake's 'passive' house a model of... 6
- Get all your outdoors work done by... 6
- Provo airport expansion could provide... 5
- BLM releases blueprint for oil and gas... 4
- Millions being spent gambling at 2... 3
- 5 tips for a successful job interview 2
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 1