Phil Coale, Associated Press
Even with mortgage rates at record lows and low home prices, many people are choosing to not buy homes. But now rent prices are on the rise, according to the website cnnmoney.com.
Rent in the U.S. has gone up by an average of 5.4 percent over the last 12 months, according to real estate website Trulia. The price to rent has gone up as a result of potential homebuyers not qualifying for mortgages and homeowners who lost their homes to foreclosure, according to the article.
Asking prices on homes have risen by 0.3 percent in the last 12 months, according to data from Trulia. While that's the fourth increase in five months, the gains are small compared to the rise in rental rates over the last year.
"With rents rising faster than prices in most markets, buying is getting even more affordable relative to renting," Trulia's chief economist, Jed Kolko, told cnnmoney.com.
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy...
- How one woman unplugged from technology for...
- Join the crowds by listing your home in spring
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- Why some handsome men have trouble finding work
- Suit challenges HollyFrontier Refinery expansion
- Corinthian Colleges closes all 28 remaining...
- Can a company really be altruistic?
- What could McDonald's do to fix its... 11
- Utah construction companies fined,... 8
- How one woman unplugged from technology... 6
- It can cost you $12,000 a year to buy... 5
- Suit challenges HollyFrontier Refinery... 4
- Photos: Sharing birthday wishes 2
- Why some handsome men have trouble... 2
- First lady: Tech industry to train,... 1