But he said he believes "ultimately, we will make a very good case for the Games. I will even go so far that should we go forward, we will win the Games."
Also earlier Tuesday, Becker said there may turn out to be good reasons not to go after another Winter Olympics in Utah.
"Actually, there are a number of things that, from my vantage point, are very serious considerations," the mayor said, including how much another bid would cost and who would pick up the tab. Other issues include the condition of the state's Olympic facilities.
"It's a major commitment on the part of a community and a state to pursue a Games again," Becker said. "That's the reason we're having, I think, a careful analysis done to take a look at those things. I can tell you for me that I'm anxious to really review that information in some detail and understand it from the point of view of whether or not we should pursue a Games."
The mayor noted there is no shortage of enthusiasm for another bid.
"We obviously have some very strong promoters, understandably. And people are excited given the experience we had with the 2002 Games," Becker said. "But in my mind, that does not mean we should necessarily pursue another Winter Olympic bid. There are a lot of things that go into it, and it's a very serious, expensive undertaking."
Contributing: John Daley
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- 'We're not going to stop': Parents of Anne...
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Historic Star Mill owner sells property;...
- Salt Lake police warn of vinyl fence vandals
- Alleged mastermind in sex trafficking ring...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- South Jordan mayor says idea to split Jordan...
- Judge: Biological father will share... 31
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 26
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 24
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 21
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 14
- No money for House Speaker Becky... 13