But he said he believes "ultimately, we will make a very good case for the Games. I will even go so far that should we go forward, we will win the Games."
Also earlier Tuesday, Becker said there may turn out to be good reasons not to go after another Winter Olympics in Utah.
"Actually, there are a number of things that, from my vantage point, are very serious considerations," the mayor said, including how much another bid would cost and who would pick up the tab. Other issues include the condition of the state's Olympic facilities.
"It's a major commitment on the part of a community and a state to pursue a Games again," Becker said. "That's the reason we're having, I think, a careful analysis done to take a look at those things. I can tell you for me that I'm anxious to really review that information in some detail and understand it from the point of view of whether or not we should pursue a Games."
The mayor noted there is no shortage of enthusiasm for another bid.
"We obviously have some very strong promoters, understandably. And people are excited given the experience we had with the 2002 Games," Becker said. "But in my mind, that does not mean we should necessarily pursue another Winter Olympic bid. There are a lot of things that go into it, and it's a very serious, expensive undertaking."
Contributing: John Daley
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in Utah...
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Skier rescued from Alta avalanche by...
- Charges: Naked man bites dog
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 123
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 36
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 17
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 15
- Do Utah high school students need four... 15
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 13
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12