Death leaves hole that 'can never be repaired,' family of slain child Sierra Newbold says
Related Story: Sierra Lynn Newbold (2005 - 2012) Obituary
WEST JORDAN — Calling her a "bright star" who will be "deeply missed," the family of a 6-year-old girl who police believe was murdered released a statement Monday.
"As expected, our family is devastated and we are grieving heavily about the loss of Sierra and the circumstances surrounding her death," the family said in the statement signed by Sierra's father, Brad Newbold.
"The hole left in our lives by her absence can never be repaired. We are most grateful and deeply moved by the public outpouring of support during this tragic time."
Newbold said the family was "cooperating fully" with police and pleaded with anyone who has information to contact officers at 801-256-2211.
Monday's statement, they said, would be the only comments the family has for now.
"The time is not right for us, and we are not prepared at this time to talk about Sierra’s death in public. This is an extremely private matter for our family, and we wish to continue our grieving in private," Newbold wrote.
Sierra's body was found in a canal near her home on June 25. Her mother had called police just before 7:30 a.m. to report she was missing from her home at 2383 W. 7095 South. Officers started searching the area and found her dead a short time later.
West Jordan police say Sierra was sexually assaulted and are calling the case a homicide, but have remained tight lipped about their investigation. No one had been arrested as of Monday.
Funeral services for Sierra were held over the weekend.
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14