Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two new fires started Sunday near Logan and Swain's Creek on an otherwise quiet fire day where evacuation orders for some communities were lifted and crews around the state made strides toward containment.
• A grass fire in Millville canyon spread to 120 acres Sunday. Logan Fire officials said the fire was human caused. No structures were threatened.
• Evacuations were ordered after the Shingle Fire started near Swain's Creek in Southern Utah, according to officials with the Eastern Great Basin Coordination Center. The fire was estimated at approximately 150 acres.
• Crews continued to move toward full containment of the Rose Crest Fire in Herriman. The fire began Friday near The Cove neighborhood and destroyed or damaged six homes. Unified Fire Capt. Lee Ascarte said firefighters spent Sunday mopping up hot spots and extending containment lines.
"Until we totally can get to 100 percent containment we'll probably be out there for a couple more days," he said.
• Eight days after lightning started the Seeley Fire near Huntington and Scofield, the blaze was at 5 percent containment, officials said. The fire has so far blackened 20,175 acres.
On Sunday, evacuation orders were lifted for full-time Scofield residents. A number of non-residential structures inside the fire perimeter had reportedly been contained by fire crews.
• The Clay Springs fire, which has been burning near Oak City since Wednesday, is 48 percent contained, incident management team spokeswoman Kate Kramer said. The fire has grown to 93,787 acres and is not currently threatening structures.
Kramer said crews had a fairly good handle on the fire, but winds continue to be a factor in the blaze. She said crews had strong containment on the west and northeast sides of the fire.
"We're doing pretty well," she said. "We've got those lines pretty well established."
• The Pole Creek Fire near Neola was 60 percent contained Sunday, according to spokesman Louis Haynes. The fire started Wednesday and its cause is still under investigation, but fireworks were found in the area. No structures are threatened and there are no evacuation notices at this time.
Haynes said there was minimal activity on Sunday and officials do not expect the fire to grow beyond its current 2,028 acres. He said that barring an extreme weather event, crews should be able to move toward full containment.
"There's still 40 percent that we don't have a handle on," he said. "As long as you can shut the wind off we'll be in good shape."
• The New Harmony fire was 100 percent contained Sunday after spreading to 1,826 acres. Command of the fire was turned over to the Bureau of Land Management, officials said. The fire began Wednesday and was reportedly human caused.
• Officials estimated the Wood Hollow Fire would be 100 percent contained by midnight on Sunday. The fire has burned approximately 47,387 acres since its start on June 24, destroying 52 residences, 108 out-buildings and claiming the life of one person whose body was found Tuesday. The cause is still under investigation, inter-agency spokesman Mark Wilkening said.
• Evacuation orders for the Church camp Fire remain in place for Argyle Canyon, officials said. Argyle Canyon Road is closed to allow fire traffic safe access. On Sunday the fire was 55 percent contained and had spread to 5,950 acres, officials said. The fire has damaged 14 residences and a number of other structures, officials said.
• A Type 2 Incident Management is scheduled to assume command of the Wolf Den Fire at 6 a.m. Monday. The fire began Friday near Big Park in Eastern Utah and effectively doubled in size Sunday, BLM spokeswoman Kelsey Birchell said. No structures are currently threatened.
"We do have a lot of oil in there but they have been mitigated," she said. "There was (an oil) well threatened yesterday but a tanker was able to drop retardant and it was saved."
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- The truth about addiction
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 51
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 33
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 11