Ask Angela: Should I tell her that her engagement ring is a fake?
A acquaintance of mine that I haven’t spoken to in a while just got engaged, and of course she splashed her new sparkler all over Facebook. The thing is, I know her ring is fake, but she doesn’t! I overheard her now-fiance telling his brother — one of my good friends — that he couldn’t afford a real one yet. I’m afraid if people find out they’ll start gossiping about it and I don’t want her to be caught off guard. Do you think I should tell her the truth about her fake bling?
Just Lookin' Out
Dear Just Lookin' Out,
Wait, what? How are you going to come out of nowhere and tell this girl who just got engaged and is probably over the moon with excitement that her ring is fake? “Ohh, congrats! Too bad your ring is fake.” It will seem like a major hater move.
Plus, if you overheard an intimate convo between siblings, it’s likely the only way this gossip will get out is if you tell someone.
So, don’t say anything — to her or anyone. Let the couple deal with their rings, what they symbolize and what they're made of.
One more thing: When you’re single or dealing with a difficult relationship, "Facebook love" (i.e., posts gushing, “My hubby is so great!!!!!”) can be tough to stomach, but President Thomas S. Monson of the LDS Church promised us that "when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude ... we can lift ourselves, and others" (see President Thomas S. Monson, "An Attitude of Gratitude," 1992).
I try to remember this whenever I see an engagement ring (fake or otherwise) and feel a tinge of green.
P.S. Ladies, which would you prefer: a ring that breaks his bank and makes all of your friends swoon, or one that he can afford but isn't exactly what you've always envisioned?
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Dan Jackson calls on family experience to...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- After government topples crosses in China,...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 74
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 65
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 49
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 32
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 22
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16