Ask Angela: Should I tell her that her engagement ring is a fake?
A acquaintance of mine that I haven’t spoken to in a while just got engaged, and of course she splashed her new sparkler all over Facebook. The thing is, I know her ring is fake, but she doesn’t! I overheard her now-fiance telling his brother — one of my good friends — that he couldn’t afford a real one yet. I’m afraid if people find out they’ll start gossiping about it and I don’t want her to be caught off guard. Do you think I should tell her the truth about her fake bling?
Just Lookin' Out
Dear Just Lookin' Out,
Wait, what? How are you going to come out of nowhere and tell this girl who just got engaged and is probably over the moon with excitement that her ring is fake? “Ohh, congrats! Too bad your ring is fake.” It will seem like a major hater move.
Plus, if you overheard an intimate convo between siblings, it’s likely the only way this gossip will get out is if you tell someone.
So, don’t say anything — to her or anyone. Let the couple deal with their rings, what they symbolize and what they're made of.
One more thing: When you’re single or dealing with a difficult relationship, "Facebook love" (i.e., posts gushing, “My hubby is so great!!!!!”) can be tough to stomach, but President Thomas S. Monson of the LDS Church promised us that "when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude ... we can lift ourselves, and others" (see President Thomas S. Monson, "An Attitude of Gratitude," 1992).
I try to remember this whenever I see an engagement ring (fake or otherwise) and feel a tinge of green.
P.S. Ladies, which would you prefer: a ring that breaks his bank and makes all of your friends swoon, or one that he can afford but isn't exactly what you've always envisioned?
- Watch: LDS bishop featured in 'Meet the...
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they balance...
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Defending the Faith: The very surprising...
- LDS Church announces new seminary graduation...
- LDS Church announces feature-length...
- Football coaches find extra strength in...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 119
- Defending the Faith: The very... 43
- LDS Church announces feature-length... 40
- SUU coach Ed Lamb is not a Mormon but... 39
- Elder Bednar invites Mormons to use... 39
- Mormon coaches and callings: How they... 19
- How President Uchtdorf upended my apple... 15
- Obama announces new birth control fixes... 5