Mitt Romney's fundraising spikes after Supreme Court decision — but Team Obama claims victory
Evan Vucci, Associated Press
In the 24 hours after the Supreme Court announced Thursday its decision to essentially uphold the Affordable Care Act, multiple reports indicate Mitt Romney's campaign raised $4.6 million in online donations.
CNN's Political Ticker blog reported, "Mitt Romney's organization said Friday morning it had raised $4.6 million online. The Romney fundraising figure included money from more than 47,000 contributions in the first 24 hours, the candidate's spokeswoman Andrea Saul said."
Bloomberg offered context that illustrates the significance of a $4 million-plus online haul to Team Romney: "The Romney campaign normally clocks about $140,000 a day in online donations, (spokeswoman Andrea) Saul told us this morning. Their biggest online haul, before the health care ruling, she adds, was one $400,000 day."
Reuters explained why the number of donors could be more significant for Romney's hopes than the amount of donations: "The sharp uptick in the number of contributions means Romney is receiving more money in small quantities from regular Americans as opposed to wealthy individuals or organizations donating large sums. This could potentially translate into more votes and repeated donations."
But that's not the entire story about presidential campaign fundraising in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling: as Politico's Byron Tau noted, "President Obama's Chicago-based re-election campaign is claiming that they've actually raised more" even though "the Obama campaign would not (reveal) the amount raised."
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Luck, instinct determined fates of volcano...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Officials confirm first Ebola case diagnosed...
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at Pentagon
- Olympian Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charge
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 14
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 13
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 12
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Parents of Michael Brown unmoved by... 7