Our Take: Several Arizona news stations and newspapers have reported on a fire that started Friday morning in an LDS church building in Tolleson, Ariz. Officials indicated they suspect arson.
A church building owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Tolleson, Ariz., caught fire early Friday morning, and investigators suspect the blaze was caused by arson.
A neighbor saw smoke coming from vents at the chapel, near 95th Avenue and Pierce Street, around 2:15 a.m. Friday morning, according to George Good, Tolleson Fire Department fire chief.
Fire crews arrived to find the windows of the church broken and fought the blaze. Crews believed the fire was under control at 3:30 a.m. but a spark in the attic reignited the blaze, Good said. At 6:30 a.m., the fire appeared to be under control. Half of the structure appears to be a total loss.
Crews from Tolleson, Phoenix, Goodyear, Glendale and Avondale responded to the fire.
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 54
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Brigham Young, Utah War topic of... 3