Our Take: Several Arizona news stations and newspapers have reported on a fire that started Friday morning in an LDS church building in Tolleson, Ariz. Officials indicated they suspect arson.
A church building owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Tolleson, Ariz., caught fire early Friday morning, and investigators suspect the blaze was caused by arson.
A neighbor saw smoke coming from vents at the chapel, near 95th Avenue and Pierce Street, around 2:15 a.m. Friday morning, according to George Good, Tolleson Fire Department fire chief.
Fire crews arrived to find the windows of the church broken and fought the blaze. Crews believed the fire was under control at 3:30 a.m. but a spark in the attic reignited the blaze, Good said. At 6:30 a.m., the fire appeared to be under control. Half of the structure appears to be a total loss.
Crews from Tolleson, Phoenix, Goodyear, Glendale and Avondale responded to the fire.
- Mormon mom battling breast cancer during...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem
- Wright Words: Founding member of SEAL Team...
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay... 72
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring... 53
- God will give you more than you can... 51
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 30
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a... 25
- AP-GfK Poll: Nuanced views on gay... 16
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile 13
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9