Unions, pensions drove Stockton, California to bankruptcy
Gosia Wozniacka, Associated Press
STOCKTON, Calif. — California officials must now assign blame to Stockton’s bankruptcy as mandated by its state law.
But who is to blame?
According to one analyst, it was cumbersome pension promises and public union salaries that sent Stockton under, not the housing crash.
“Union pensions wrecked Stockton,” said Mike Shedlock, investment advisor at Sitka Pacific Capital, in his article at Business Insider. “The only way to escape the death-grip of inane pension promises is bankruptcy.”
Shedlock said the U.S. should expect to see more cities file for bankruptcy.
The investment adviser also offered some potential solutions other than bankruptcy, including halts on defined benefit pension plans and collective bargaining for public union workers.
Stockton plans to default on $10.2 million in debt and cut $11.2 million in employee pay and benefits. The cuts have led to high crime and unemployment rates.
“The city is fiscally insolvent and must seek Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection,” Stockton said in a statement to Bloomberg. “In addition to the bankruptcy petition, the city will file a motion with the courts to share information from the confidential mediation.”
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org TWITTER: @joeyferguson
- April 15 may be Tax Day, but Tax Freedom Day...
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters Utah's...
- Why do only half of Americans invest in stocks?
- Happiness research inspired one business...
- Did you file your taxes jointly or...
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could more than...
- RC Willey opens new store at University Place...
- Leadership touted at governor's economic summit
- End of an era: Mercury rule shutters... 57
- Sen. Hatch's 'I-Squared' bill could... 26
- Fight for $15 protests expand for... 20
- EnergySolutions shouldn't store uranium... 8
- Gas prices in Utah climb 15 cents above... 5
- Contact lens makers sue Utah over... 4
- Did you file your taxes jointly or... 4
- Happiness research inspired one... 3