Unions, pensions drove Stockton, California to bankruptcy
Gosia Wozniacka, Associated Press
STOCKTON, Calif. — California officials must now assign blame to Stockton’s bankruptcy as mandated by its state law.
But who is to blame?
According to one analyst, it was cumbersome pension promises and public union salaries that sent Stockton under, not the housing crash.
“Union pensions wrecked Stockton,” said Mike Shedlock, investment advisor at Sitka Pacific Capital, in his article at Business Insider. “The only way to escape the death-grip of inane pension promises is bankruptcy.”
Shedlock said the U.S. should expect to see more cities file for bankruptcy.
The investment adviser also offered some potential solutions other than bankruptcy, including halts on defined benefit pension plans and collective bargaining for public union workers.
Stockton plans to default on $10.2 million in debt and cut $11.2 million in employee pay and benefits. The cuts have led to high crime and unemployment rates.
“The city is fiscally insolvent and must seek Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection,” Stockton said in a statement to Bloomberg. “In addition to the bankruptcy petition, the city will file a motion with the courts to share information from the confidential mediation.”
EMAIL: email@example.com TWITTER: @joeyferguson
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Men and women: Understanding the wage gap is...
- From world-class soldier to world-class...
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies...
- How to avoid scams on Cyber Monday and Giving...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- David Sturt and Todd Nordstrom: Don't forget...
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 34
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- Clinton proposes $275 billion in new... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 7
- Obama shops at Washington bookstore,... 5
- How to avoid scams on Cyber Monday and... 4
- Utahns urged to shift spending during... 4
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding... 2