Charles Dharapak, Associated Press
Donations pour in from the Republican rank-and-file. Politico's Alexander Burns reported Thursday night, "The Romney campaign has raised $3.2 million online since the Supreme Court ruled to uphold the Affordable Care Act, a Romney aide tells me. The news here is that Romney's tapping into conservative small-donor enthusiasm."
Taxation becomes a more formidable issue for wooing independents. "The Supreme Court (provided) fresh political opportunities for Mitt Romney even as it handed the president a legal victory," Karen Tumulty and Nia-Malika Henderson wrote for the Washington Post. "Chief among those new lines of attack is the court’s determination that the law’s individual mandate — the penalty it would impose on people who refuse to buy insurance — amounts to a tax. 'The most effective argument for Romney is that this is a massive tax increase that will impact hardworking Americans,' said GOP strategist Ron Bonjean, who worked for a number of Republican leaders on Capitol Hill. 'By adding the health-care tax to economic hardships people are feeling, it will quickly become a rallying cry to win over independents in battleground states.'”
President Obama loses potential "campaign scare issue." Real Clear Politic's Erin McPike reported, "Veteran GOP strategist Mike Murphy, who has advised Romney in the past, added that the decision will keep Obama from using the Supreme Court as a 'wider campaign scare issue with independent voters.'"
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- US, Arab allies hit IS strongholds in Syria,...
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- Police say rifle carried by ambush suspect found
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 13
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 11
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 10
- Where do we draw the line on spanking? 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 10
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 9
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- It's not just young people —... 7