Charles Dharapak, Associated Press
Donations pour in from the Republican rank-and-file. Politico's Alexander Burns reported Thursday night, "The Romney campaign has raised $3.2 million online since the Supreme Court ruled to uphold the Affordable Care Act, a Romney aide tells me. The news here is that Romney's tapping into conservative small-donor enthusiasm."
Taxation becomes a more formidable issue for wooing independents. "The Supreme Court (provided) fresh political opportunities for Mitt Romney even as it handed the president a legal victory," Karen Tumulty and Nia-Malika Henderson wrote for the Washington Post. "Chief among those new lines of attack is the court’s determination that the law’s individual mandate — the penalty it would impose on people who refuse to buy insurance — amounts to a tax. 'The most effective argument for Romney is that this is a massive tax increase that will impact hardworking Americans,' said GOP strategist Ron Bonjean, who worked for a number of Republican leaders on Capitol Hill. 'By adding the health-care tax to economic hardships people are feeling, it will quickly become a rallying cry to win over independents in battleground states.'”
President Obama loses potential "campaign scare issue." Real Clear Politic's Erin McPike reported, "Veteran GOP strategist Mike Murphy, who has advised Romney in the past, added that the decision will keep Obama from using the Supreme Court as a 'wider campaign scare issue with independent voters.'"
- Photos: UCLA wades through damage caused by...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the time'
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against Obama
- Witness: More Oklahoma bombing videos may exist
- U.S. economy grows at scorching 4 percent in...
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 45
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 29
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 25
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 20
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 14