Mormon swimmer Breeja Larson going to London Olympic Games
Our take: This ESPN article by the Associated Press describes Breeja Larson's upset victory in the 100-meter breaststroke at the U.S. Olympic swimming trials to earn a spot on Team USA. Larson, a sophomore at Texas A&M, is a member of the LDS Church.
OMAHA, Neb. — Breeja Larson's face said it all. First she looked confused, then startled and, finally, shocked.
The Texas A&M sophomore had just edged world champion Rebecca Soni to win the 100-meter breaststroke at the U.S. Olympic swimming trials and earn herself a ticket to London.
Larson won in 1 minute, 5.92 seconds Wednesday night, with Soni closing quickly in 1:05.99 to take the second spot on the U.S. team.
Jessica Hardy missed out by finishing third in 1:06.53.
Larson squinted at the overhead scoreboard, her mouth agape, trying to figure out what had happened while nearly 13,000 fans roared.
"I saw about three people (listed). I was like, 'Which one is it?'" she said. "I heard him announce my name a couple times. I was like, 'That must be a good thing.'"
For the rest of this story, go to ESPN.com.
To watch a video of the race, visit NBCOlympics.com.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 34
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 16
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 12
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 12
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU... 5
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 5