Mormon swimmer Breeja Larson going to London Olympic Games
Our take: This ESPN article by the Associated Press describes Breeja Larson's upset victory in the 100-meter breaststroke at the U.S. Olympic swimming trials to earn a spot on Team USA. Larson, a sophomore at Texas A&M, is a member of the LDS Church.
OMAHA, Neb. — Breeja Larson's face said it all. First she looked confused, then startled and, finally, shocked.
The Texas A&M sophomore had just edged world champion Rebecca Soni to win the 100-meter breaststroke at the U.S. Olympic swimming trials and earn herself a ticket to London.
Larson won in 1 minute, 5.92 seconds Wednesday night, with Soni closing quickly in 1:05.99 to take the second spot on the U.S. team.
Jessica Hardy missed out by finishing third in 1:06.53.
Larson squinted at the overhead scoreboard, her mouth agape, trying to figure out what had happened while nearly 13,000 fans roared.
"I saw about three people (listed). I was like, 'Which one is it?'" she said. "I heard him announce my name a couple times. I was like, 'That must be a good thing.'"
For the rest of this story, go to ESPN.com.
To watch a video of the race, visit NBCOlympics.com.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: tbtoone
- How would LDS be affected by renewed US-Cuba...
- Little Lamb: A babe in white linen on white...
- LDS young man makes lasting impression on the...
- LDS leaders quiz: What have you learned from...
- Two LDS temples will be closing for extensive...
- Video of world's largest live Nativity...
- Visiting minister urges unity among Christians
- BYU students, Men's Chorus create interfaith...
- Ask Angela: LDS bridal showers are out... 47
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 32
- Defending the Faith: A modern witness... 11
- How would LDS be affected by renewed... 11
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert... 10
- So wait? Pets don't go to heaven? 8
- Visiting minister urges unity among... 8
- LDS young man makes lasting impression... 7