Mormon swimmer Breeja Larson going to London Olympic Games
Our take: This ESPN article by the Associated Press describes Breeja Larson's upset victory in the 100-meter breaststroke at the U.S. Olympic swimming trials to earn a spot on Team USA. Larson, a sophomore at Texas A&M, is a member of the LDS Church.
OMAHA, Neb. — Breeja Larson's face said it all. First she looked confused, then startled and, finally, shocked.
The Texas A&M sophomore had just edged world champion Rebecca Soni to win the 100-meter breaststroke at the U.S. Olympic swimming trials and earn herself a ticket to London.
Larson won in 1 minute, 5.92 seconds Wednesday night, with Soni closing quickly in 1:05.99 to take the second spot on the U.S. team.
Jessica Hardy missed out by finishing third in 1:06.53.
Larson squinted at the overhead scoreboard, her mouth agape, trying to figure out what had happened while nearly 13,000 fans roared.
"I saw about three people (listed). I was like, 'Which one is it?'" she said. "I heard him announce my name a couple times. I was like, 'That must be a good thing.'"
For the rest of this story, go to ESPN.com.
To watch a video of the race, visit NBCOlympics.com.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: tbtoone
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 72
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 64
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 47
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 40
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 29
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 19
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 17