OREM — One of many events that are part of America's Freedom Festival, the Colonial Heritage Festival will offer a unique attraction: a village created to look like a colonial settlement, complete with a schoolhouse, a church and a variety of other shops.
Set up as "the village at Aubin's Grove," this living museum will highlight the period of time from the first British colony in 1607 (Jamestown) to 1787, according to a news release. It will offer a unique hands-on experience, with a host of volunteers, exhibits and artifacts, including the aforementioned Colonial School House and Old South Church, where visitors can participate in a lesson or join the debate whether to throw tea into Boston Harbor.
The village will also have an apothecary shop, a blacksmith, a cooper, a gunsmith, a potter, candle dipping, a cobbler and more. The calligrapher's shop, Cup and Quill, will be giving out free bookmarks and Allen's Brick Oven Bakery will be selling slices of sourdough bread and applesauce cake. Volunteers portraying Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry and Gowan Pamphlet, among others, will make appearances. Near the haberdashery, men and boys may be drafted into the village militia on sight.
In addition to the festival activities during the day, there will be a special colonial observance July 2 at 7:30 p.m. in the Orem High auditorium with songs from the Orem Chorale, words from the Founding Fathers and guest speaker Joseph Bauman, credited with the world's greatest collection of daguerreotype images of Independence War veterans. Bauman is the author of "Don't Tread on Me," a photo history of the American Revolution.
All events associated with the Colonial Heritage Festival are free.
What: Colonial Heritage Festival
When: June 30, July 2-3 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and July 4, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
(Colonial Special Observance July 2 at 7:30 p.m. in the Orem High auditorium)
Where: SCERA Park, 675 S. State, Orem
- Family walks from Disneyland to Disney World...
- BYU's Vocal Point releases new video with The...
- The Clean Cut: 'Kid History' stars create...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: For Mother's Day,...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- 18 TV mothers you wish were your own
- Britain's new princess can't expect...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson... 6
- Steve Eaton: eBay exile is small price... 6
- Parents, do your kids trust the... 5
- Britain's new princess can't expect... 4
- BYU's Vocal Point releases new video... 4
- Linda & Richard Eyre: For Mother's Day,... 3
- The little-known benefit to cleaning... 2
- One thing parents are more worried... 2