OREM — One of many events that are part of America's Freedom Festival, the Colonial Heritage Festival will offer a unique attraction: a village created to look like a colonial settlement, complete with a schoolhouse, a church and a variety of other shops.
Set up as "the village at Aubin's Grove," this living museum will highlight the period of time from the first British colony in 1607 (Jamestown) to 1787, according to a news release. It will offer a unique hands-on experience, with a host of volunteers, exhibits and artifacts, including the aforementioned Colonial School House and Old South Church, where visitors can participate in a lesson or join the debate whether to throw tea into Boston Harbor.
The village will also have an apothecary shop, a blacksmith, a cooper, a gunsmith, a potter, candle dipping, a cobbler and more. The calligrapher's shop, Cup and Quill, will be giving out free bookmarks and Allen's Brick Oven Bakery will be selling slices of sourdough bread and applesauce cake. Volunteers portraying Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry and Gowan Pamphlet, among others, will make appearances. Near the haberdashery, men and boys may be drafted into the village militia on sight.
In addition to the festival activities during the day, there will be a special colonial observance July 2 at 7:30 p.m. in the Orem High auditorium with songs from the Orem Chorale, words from the Founding Fathers and guest speaker Joseph Bauman, credited with the world's greatest collection of daguerreotype images of Independence War veterans. Bauman is the author of "Don't Tread on Me," a photo history of the American Revolution.
All events associated with the Colonial Heritage Festival are free.
What: Colonial Heritage Festival
When: June 30, July 2-3 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and July 4, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
(Colonial Special Observance July 2 at 7:30 p.m. in the Orem High auditorium)
Where: SCERA Park, 675 S. State, Orem
- 20 places in Utah where kids eat free, or for...
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- #SavingEliza: Family determined to save...
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Summer movie preview: Hollywood bets big again
- Harry Potter fans: Hogwarts is offering...
- Heber Valley Historic Railroad Authority...
- How to create a do-it-yourself summer camp...
- Do moms need a purpose beyond motherhood? 10
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 9
- Harry Potter fans: Hogwarts is offering... 8
- Film about man's crusade against child... 7
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises... 5
- How to raise compassionate kids 4
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on... 3
- Salt Lake Comic Con balloon artist... 2