NEW HARMONY, Washington County — A fast-moving wildfire is burning east of town and homes are being evacuated. Highway 144 has been closed until further notice.
The American Red Cross opened an evacuation center at an LDS meetinghouse in Kanarraville, at 80 S. Main. Snacks, water and information will be available for evacuees. If necessary, the reception center will be scaled up to a full-service, overnight shelter.
The fire broke out about 1:50 p.m. west of I-15. It is estimated to have burned over 30 acres of cheatgrass and mixed brush thus far, as well as one unoccupied structure and a vehicle, according to officials.
Local and Bureau of Land Management fire agencies are at the scene. No injuries have been reported.
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 17
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 15