UVU sports: UVU has 58 student-athletes named academic all-conference
Naperville, Ill. -- The Great West Conference has announced its 2011-12 Winter/Spring Academic All-Conference honors for the sports of baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's indoor and outdoor track and field, women's golf, women's tennis and softball. The list includes 58 Utah Valley University student-athletes.
Of the 58 Wolverines to make the cut, 36 represented UVU track and field. Both women's basketball and baseball had eight student-athletes make the list, while men's basketball, and women's golf and softball each had two representatives.
In all, 228 Great West Conference athletes were named to the team based on a minimum cumulative 3.2 grade point average. The athletes also must have participated in at least 50 percent of their respective team's contests. Using the institutions' most recent GPA, the student-athletes are selected by each member institution's sports information director, with approval from the faculty athletic representative and the head coach. First-year students and JC transfers in their first year of residence are not eligible for the award.
UVU track athlete Sally Hansen received special honors, as she was one of just four Academic All-Conference honorees to post a 4.0 grade point average. The other individuals were NJIT's Jonathan Daudelin (track and field) and North Dakota's Kirsten Haas (track and field) and Alyssa Wall (women's basketball).
"Collegiate athletes face a big challenge to find the balance between athletics and academics," GWC Commissioner Ed Grom said. "The Great West has a high percentage of student-athletes who have found that balance, and as our competitiveness against Division I institutions has increased, so has the commitment to academics. I congratulate all our academic all-conference honorees as they each have displayed the focus and commitment it takes to be successful."
The winter and spring athletes join 176 fall-sport athletes who were named to the Great West Conference Academic All-Conference Team for the 2011-12 academic year, bringing the total to 404 Great West student-athletes who excelled in the classroom and were honored for their efforts.
In the fall, UVU had 30 student-athletes named to the Academic All-Conference lists. Those individuals, along with the 15 Wolverine wrestlers who were named to the Western Wrestling Conference All-Academic squad, brings UVU's year-long total to 103 All-Academic honorees.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Stewart has brought back an identity —...
- Penn State defeats Stanford, will meet BYU...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- High school basketball: Thursday's roundup
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 59
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 44
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31