Stockton, Calif., to file for bankruptcy protection after talks with creditors fail
Ben Margot, Associated Press
STOCKTON, Calif. — After deliberation with creditors and labor unions failed, Stockton, Calif., officials said it will file for bankruptcy, making it the biggest U.S. city to seek court protection.
According to the city’s upcoming budget, Stockton plans to default on $10.2 million in debt and cut $11.2 million in employee pay and benefits, according to Bloomberg. The cuts have led to high crime and unemployment rates.
“The city is fiscally insolvent and must seek Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection,” Stockton said in a statement to Bloomberg. “In addition to the bankruptcy petition, the city will file a motion with the courts to share information from the confidential mediation.”
At least 18 creditors were involved in negotiations with the city, including California Public Employees’ Retirement System, the largest U.S. pension fund, according to Bloomberg.
The bankruptcy isn’t likely to hurt the municipal-bond market, as some experts say it isn’t a concern.
“There’s been enough talk about municipal bankruptcy and worries about it that when one actually happens, it’s a little beside the point,” Matt Fabian, managing director of Concord, Mass.-based Municipal Market Advisors, told Bloomberg. “It’s hard to see one city’s faltering pushing the market weaker.”
- What people never mention when they talk...
- 3 tips for traveling cheaply
- Survey says parents spend $532.87 a month to...
- Obama renews tax breaks, creates ABLE accounts
- Utah economy still adding jobs, report says
- Abu Dhabi's Etihad gets A380, complete with...
- N. Korea proposes joint probe over Sony hacking
- AP PHOTOS: A look at 2014 in the business world
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Is brand loyalty the new religion? 6
- US consumer prices fall in November 4
- Insurers ease 'Obamacare' deadline 3
- Keystone pipeline to top Senate agenda... 3
- AP sources: NFL employees turn over... 3
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on... 3
- PacifiCorp to close Deer Creek Mine in... 3