As West Valley's business development director from 2000 to 2004, Winder said he was focused on helping the city become more business-friendly. It's a goal that continued during his time on the City Council and then as mayor.
Today, the city is enjoying what Winder and other city leaders call "the West Valley renaissance," with construction under way on the $500 million Fairbourne Station, a transit-oriented development that will feature the first four-star hotel on the west side of the Salt Lake Valley. Not far away, Valley Fair Mall also is being redeveloped.
Crockett was the top vote-getter at the Salt Lake County Republican convention in April, garnering 58 percent of the delegate vote compared with 42 percent for Winder in the second round of voting.
A recent poll conducted by Dan Jones & Associates for the Deseret News and KSL-TV, had Winder favored in the race by six points, 48 percent to 42 percent.
• In the lone Salt Lake County Council race, Joe Demma received 54.6 percent of the vote to defeat Melvin Nimer, who finished with 45.4 percent. Demma will face incumbent Jim Bradley, a Democrat, in November.
• In Murray, voters approved a $33 million general obligation bond to pay for reconstruction of Hillcrest Junior High School and seismic upgrades to other schools in the Murray School District. The bond passed by a 68.7 percent to 31.3 percent margin.
• In Summit County, an $8.5 million bond for a new community center in the North Summit Recreation Special Service District was rejected by 86 percent of voters.
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in... 13