Charles Krupa, Associated Press
Baltimore Ravens strong safety Bernard Pollard counted 17 occasions during 2011 when he spewed profanity during an NFL game. His game plan for the upcoming season: zero tolerance for on-field swearing.
Last week the Ravens' official website reported that a "deeply religious Pollard" explained, “That’s how I live my life. Me and my wife, we used to cuss like cats and dogs. When you make a decision to change for the better, you live your life for the better.”
(The same blog post also revealed: "Some other (Baltimore Ravens) who don’t cuss altogether — or at least very little — are Ray Lewis, Haloti Ngata (Highland High) and Dennis Pitta (BYU).")
ProFootballTalk editor Mike Florio voiced his support for Pollard's plan: "Count Ravens safety Bernard Pollard among the small minority of men who (try) to play the game without cursing a blue streak. We respect him for trying. We’ll respect him even more when he no longer has to try."
Pollard is a six-year NFL veteran who is perhaps best known for shredding superstar quarterback Tom Brady's knee in 2008 and, two years later, unleashing a profanity-laced tirade that CBS microphones picked up and inadvertently included in the live broadcast.
“It’s on film, and you can’t take it away,” Pollard said about the 2010 incident. “I can’t conduct myself like that. Somebody’s kids are going to hear that. My kids are going to hear that. I have to be an example for not only my kids, but everybody’s kids.”
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- The pipes are calling: Salt Lake Methodist...
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union targeting pot
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man with men...
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson...
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter of name...
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's daughter
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 18
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter... 7
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's... 4
- Pope forms commission to advise on sex... 1
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union... 1
- New Harmony: Christian shrines to see... 1
- The pipes are calling: Salt Lake... 1