SOUTH SALT LAKE — Police are looking for a man who they say stabbed and kidnapped a man before breaking into an apartment and taking its tenant hostage.
Police received a 911 call about 7 a.m. Monday from a man who said he had been stabbed and kidnapped and was inside the trunk of a car. An argument over money had allegedly gotten out of hand.
"We initially got the call from him, or South Salt Lake did. (He) claimed he was in the trunk, had been stabbed and that he was here at the Covewood Village Apartments," said Unified Police Sgt. Jeff Evans.
Officers immediately responded to the complex, 3429 S 300 East, and found the vehicle. The incident started with a fight over money and property at a Millcreek home at 1291 E. Gunn Ave. (3080 South). Police say it was this altercation that led Michael Forgette to stab the man, but didn't know what other factors may have played a part.
"Whether he is high on something we don't know," Unified police detective Levi Hughes said. "The fight is not over drugs."
Police located the vehicle just in time to see its driver jumping a nearby fence.
"There (was) one female inside the vehicle and then they did locate the 27-year-old male in the trunk of the vehicle," Evans said.
Officers took the female passenger into custody for questioning about her involvement. Police say the driver ran to a nearby apartment and took the tenant hostage.
"He held a lady against her will for a period of time, hid out there from the police, let her know he was hiding from police and then made her leave with him a short distance from that area and then took off again," Hughes said.
Forgette was last seen wearing a black and blue shirt and gray pants. He has dark hair but police say it looks bleached and is a strawberry blond color. Police consider Forgette to be dangerous. Anyone who comes in contact with him should call 911.
"Right now this individual is armed with a knife, he is violent (and) extremely dangerous," Hughes said.
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 129
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 16
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested... 13
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9