SALT LAKE CITY — The 18 candidates who will vie for nine Utah State Board of Education seats during November's election were selected Friday by Gov. Gary Herbert.
Unlike other elections in the state, candidates for the state school board are vetted by a nominating and recruiting committee, which then narrow the field and forward names to the governor for selection. The committee passed 27 names to the governor from an initial field of 59.
In each case where an incumbent was nominated by the committee, Herbert included them as a candidate for November's ballot. Two incumbents, Janet Cannon and Carol Murphy, failed to clear the committee and will not appear on the ballot.
Members of the state school board serve four-year terms, with elections staggered every two years. The nominating committee is appointed by the governor and is made up of 12 individuals.
The candidates for State School Board are:
• District 1: Alan Shakespear and Tami Pyfer
• District 4: Bruce Davis and David Thomas
• District 7: Carlton Getz and Leslie Castle
• District 8: Christopher Williams and Jennifer Johnson
• District 10: David Crandall and Nina Welker
• District 11: Jefferson Moss and Sergio Vasquez
• District 12: Dixie Allen and Wendy Simmerman
• District 13: Ken Parkinson and Mark Openshaw
• District 15: Barbara Corry and Bette Arial
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House...
- February deemed a snowpack savior for...
- Artifact vandalism near Moab a growing problem
- Sprinkler system, new station help contain...
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 52
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 39
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 30
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 27
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- Chase with alleged shoplifters ends in... 17