Balancing act: Big, small companies offer different advantages, disadvantages
But what about all of those unfamiliar faces at the zoo? It was strange to think that I had worked at the same company with them for more than nine months and still knew so few, even by sight.
However, the more I think about it, the more I see this as a strength. Just like me, the vast majority of those people are working hard in their departments to help the company succeed, even as they try to improve their own skills and abilities. Instead of working with a few dozen talented, dedicated and hard-working people, I'm working with a few thousand.
I don't know all of them by name, but I realize that I have a responsibility to do the best I can in my corner of the company. Assuming my co-workers do the same, we will all continue to have the chance to excel at our jobs. I still feel like I've got their backs, and I hope they feel the same about me, even if we've never met.
And I'm confident that, as the years go by, I'll meet more and more people from various departments, which will make this large company feel smaller.
In fact, while watching swinging spider monkeys and roaming rhinoceroses at another company party a few years from now, I think I'll run into many more people who I consider to be not only co-workers but also friends.
- Utahns' satisfaction with downtown Salt Lake...
- Inventor pushes solar panels for roads, highways
- CNBC ranks Utah 3rd best state for business;...
- GOED announces incentives for 500 new Utah jobs
- 3 simple steps for building financial...
- Amazon asks FAA for permission to fly drones
- UTA gains Davis County approval for bus rapid...
- Farmers markets to accept food stamps
- US unemployment aid applications fall... 11
- Utah gas prices climb 14 cents from... 9
- Utahns' satisfaction with downtown Salt... 7
- DeseretNews.com continues to see... 6
- Inventor pushes solar panels for roads,... 4
- Kearns-Tribune, Deseret News ask judge... 4
- Smith's store to anchor development at... 3
- GOED announces incentives for 500 new... 3