Sparking charity: Columbia J-school dean uses social media to shine light on nonprofits
Sree Sreenivasan, the dean of student affairs at Columbia Journalism School who regularly blogs about social media, is using his Twitter account as a platform for bringing attention to nonprofit charities.
"Sending money, of course, remains the single most important way to support nonprofits," Sreenivasan wrote Sunday in a blog post for technology website CNET. "But social-media users have learned that you can also have an impact by paying with something else: attention — your own attention and your friends' attention. As I approached my 6,000th tweet, I decided to use the occasion to bring some attention to a few nonprofits and to learn more about how every day users support their charities. People would nominate their favorite charities and I'd tweet about five that caught my eye."
Sreenivasan's CNET blog post included a preliminary list of 35 nominated charities that ran the gamut from Alex's Lemonade Stand ("fighting cancer one cup at a time") to School on Wheels ("provides tutoring and educational advocacy for homeless children in Indianapolis").
Last year in the article "Social media's impact on charitable fundraising: Does it work?" USA Today's Christie Garton wrote, "Charities that have taken a holistic or integrated approach to fundraising — combining multiple social media tools with the more traditional approach of email or mailed requests — saw their fundraising increase as much as 40 percent compared to peers that didn't use these social tools."
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- The Clean Cut: Toddler can't help but run to...
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over faith;...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- If Pinterest makes you feel like a failure as...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 23
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 17
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6