"We were sitting on the patio,” said David Christiansen, who owns a home in Oaker Hills. “About 4:30, my sister-in-law looked over to the west and asked, ‘Is that a cloud or is it smoke?’ It was smoke. It got big immediately. It was fairly windy where we were yesterday, about 10 to 20 mph. The fire was coming right at us. The people who lived there started talking to each other. We all agreed we better get ready to go if we had to.”
Red flag conditions were in effect again Sunday, meaning the fire danger would be extreme with high winds, high temperatures, low humidity and dry fuels, Carpenter said.
He said the fire was "probably human caused" and under investigation, but did not have any other information about a possible cause
The fire began at 4:47 p.m. Saturday, east of the town of Fountain Green, and quickly spread over the Cedar Hills to the east, cresting a high ridge above Fairview and the town of Indianola about 8 p.m.
About 64 personnel were assisting with the fire Sunday, Carpenter said, including two ground crews, one helicopter, two fire engines and five bulldozers.
A tanker plane dropped retardant over the area about 8 p.m. Saturday.
Sanpete County has gone without any measurable precipitation for about two months. Many municipalities in the county have been rationing water for lawns.
FEMA has approved a fire management assistance grant to help with the firefighting costs of the Wood Hollow Fire, according to the Utah Division of Emergency Management. Under the grant, FEMA will reimburse agencies 75 percent of eligible firefighting costs.
Contributing: Pat Reavy, Jared Page and Christian Probasco
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 57
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 40
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- School leaders look for solutions to... 22
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- Man who crashed truck into house... 12