Four current BYU swimmers, one diver and two incoming recruits, are involved with U.S. Olympic Trials this month.
Diver Brandon Watson, a graduated senior, has been competing this week in Federal Way, Wash., in the one and three meter boards.
The remaining six BYU swimmers begin competition next week at the U.S. Olympic Swimming Trials in Omaha, Neb.
On Monday, Brady Wells, a team captain and senior-to-be, will compete in the 100 breaststroke, and Kimberly Welch Doroghian, a junior-to-be, will swim in the 100 butterfly.
On Tuesday, Hailey Campbell, a junior-to-be who transferred from Penn State, will compete in the 100 backstroke.
Candice Smith, a graduated senior, will compete on Friday in the 200 backstroke.
Incoming recruits Brent Murray and Preston Jenkins are also competing in the trials.
Murray, a sophomore transfer from the University of Utah, will compete in the 50 and 100 freestyle. He is from Hayesville, N.C., and is ranked in the top 20 nationally.
Jenkins, a freshman from Richmond Hill, Ga., is seeded No. 11 in the 200 back and will also compete in the 100 back at the trials.
“It is great to see the hard work pay off for these athletes,” said BYU head coach John Brooks. “Former assistant Stan Crump deserves a lot of credit helping the girls accomplish this goal.
“Hailey has done everything we have asked her to do and will represent BYU in the highest manner. This is the second time for Candice at the trials and we wish her well as a staff and team.”
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26