Four current BYU swimmers, one diver and two incoming recruits, are involved with U.S. Olympic Trials this month.
Diver Brandon Watson, a graduated senior, has been competing this week in Federal Way, Wash., in the one and three meter boards.
The remaining six BYU swimmers begin competition next week at the U.S. Olympic Swimming Trials in Omaha, Neb.
On Monday, Brady Wells, a team captain and senior-to-be, will compete in the 100 breaststroke, and Kimberly Welch Doroghian, a junior-to-be, will swim in the 100 butterfly.
On Tuesday, Hailey Campbell, a junior-to-be who transferred from Penn State, will compete in the 100 backstroke.
Candice Smith, a graduated senior, will compete on Friday in the 200 backstroke.
Incoming recruits Brent Murray and Preston Jenkins are also competing in the trials.
Murray, a sophomore transfer from the University of Utah, will compete in the 50 and 100 freestyle. He is from Hayesville, N.C., and is ranked in the top 20 nationally.
Jenkins, a freshman from Richmond Hill, Ga., is seeded No. 11 in the 200 back and will also compete in the 100 back at the trials.
“It is great to see the hard work pay off for these athletes,” said BYU head coach John Brooks. “Former assistant Stan Crump deserves a lot of credit helping the girls accomplish this goal.
“Hailey has done everything we have asked her to do and will represent BYU in the highest manner. This is the second time for Candice at the trials and we wish her well as a staff and team.”
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22