Man charged with homicide for allegedly handing gun to drunk wife, who shot herself
BLUFFDALE — A Bluffdale man was charged Thursday with negligent homicide for allegedly loading a rifle and handing it to his wife, who then shot herself.
Shawn and Rashell Langford were at their Bluffdale home, 14463 S. Camp Williams Road, on Sept. 5, 2011, when the incident occurred. Shawn Langford told police he was having problems with his Remington rifle because the bolt was sticking. "Shawn stated that he placed a bullet in the chamber and was working the bolt to loosen it up," charges filed in 3rd District Court state.
Rashell Langford, who investigators say was drunk and high on drugs, told her husband she wanted to see the rifle and he handed it to her, the charges state. "Rashell placed the barrel in her mouth and pulled the trigger."
When police arrived, they discovered that the 33-year-old woman was dead and the rifle was on the bed next to her.
Shawn Langford, 42, was charged with negligent homicide and reckless endangerment, both class A misdemeanors.
- Precedents — and exceptions...
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- The truth about addiction
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 50
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 25
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 17
- Roosevelt girl, 8, recovering from pit... 15